will this work

GoldenMotor.com

mechanickid

Aug 7, 2008
nh
yea the gas will soften that up a TON and it will fall apart, but for about an hour its good in an emergency

mekano

Nov 4, 2008
Stockholm, Sweden
I didnt know gas softened up cork...? Does it?
Many old school gaskets were made out of that material in many different ol engines.

Last edited:

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
Lots of old airplanes used cork floats for fuel guages. They put some kind of sealer on them but they would last a long time........

fakeplay

Jul 26, 2009
newburyport ma
I'm gonna coat it with seal- all and try it. I'll let everyone know how it turned out and how long it lasts. Thanks

Last edited:

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
You're probably better off using a real stock float!!! You don't know if that one will keep the same fuel level in the float bowl that a stock one will!!!

chrisme

May 30, 2009
Maine
if you coat it with something that gas (and ethanol in the gas..) won't eat it should work fine. You'll definitely need to re-adjust the float level because it will float differently, you may need to adjust the jet and the needle to make it work. But if you are like me you are cheap and would rather play with the carb to make it work right than buy the correct part :)

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Rather than spend $1, & do it the right way (& easier way)... Some people always need to spend $5 & prove to themselves they do it the hard way... zpt
Just be careful not to run your engine too lean!!

chrisme

May 30, 2009
Maine
If you know how to check if you are running to lean or rich, and you know how to properly tune your carb, then go ahead.

Since the cork probably floats better than the original float, you probably don't need it to be as thick. That is part of the playing with it process :}

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
ebay sometimes has 3 carbs for less than $25.00 including shipping. boygofast sometimes runs that kind of add.
Norman