France laws

GoldenMotor.com

Poupoudoum

Feb 22, 2009
Bordeaux (FRANCE)
Hi.

In France electrical helped bikes are allowed, but the max speed is 25Km/h, and the motor must not help while the biker isn't pedalling!

So motorized bikes with gas engine are totally illegal.

They might be legal if your vehicle is officially recognised, but it is very difficult, and you must have a licence to drive it (over 16 years old <50cc, with a 2 years old driving licence <125cc, and more with a motorcycle driving licence)

.duh.

Weedylot

Angry Old Fart
Jun 12, 2008
Tucson Arizona
Wow! I thought Arizona was tough on driving laws. Although it is, in some ways like Bordeaux. At 15.5 years a "learner's" permit is required, drive only with adult over 18 in the car (insurance, lisence plate and yearly tag. I don't think a motorcycle is allowed until 16 years old.
16 years old with paid for insurance to drive a car, truck, motorcycle, scooter and moped. Electric are only regulated by speed, limiting electric bikes to 20 MPH. (about 30 KPH ?) in bicycle lanes only. The electric bike laws are rarely enforced here. :D

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
I guess Napoleonic law has it's glitches. I hope the situation improves, because you can really get a lot of range at low cost from these buzzy little engines.

Poupoudoum

Feb 22, 2009
Bordeaux (FRANCE)
Yes I d'like it, but I don't think laws are gone to change...

It's a bit silly because when I see the low fuel consumption of you engines, and the prices of the moped and scooters, I think it's a good way to have a cheap mean of transportation.

eDJ

Jul 8, 2008
Wayne National Forest
Weren't those Solex mopeds popular in France. The ones with the gas
motor over the front tire.

I've seen them here in the states and they seem to be a quality
bike. I'm not sure if they are a product of France or not.

If I lived there and the laws made a converted bicycle too
difficult to license and operate, I would be looking for
a Solex motorbike for the fuel savings.

This links to a Chinese Solex motor clone

Kings Motor Bikes,Motorized Bicycle,Bicycle Engine Kit--xingtai evergreen co.,ltd

Last edited:

Poupoudoum

Feb 22, 2009
Bordeaux (FRANCE)
Yes solex is a french product! And they were quite popular. Nowadays there are E-Solex with electric engines.

Yes it's a good solution! But it's not the same as building your own bike.