If I sold intake pipes.

GoldenMotor.com

mechanickid

Aug 7, 2008
nh
I made myself a new intake pipe for the carb, which is much larger.
If I made a lot of high quality ones to sell, would you guys go on ebay and buy them?

I would mostly use copper fittings, So they would probably be about $15 or less on ebay.

Let me know what you think.

mechanickid

Aug 7, 2008
nh
btw, by "high quality" i mean, "sturdy" nothing close to what Creative Engineering could do. so maybe there's no point.

Clotho

May 25, 2008
Ok, What you are doing here is called market research. Basically the idea is to try to figure out if there is a market for your product or not. If there is a market then you need to determine how much people will be willing to pay. It is good to remember that if you ask people outright what they think something is worth (if they are interested in it) That they will probably give you an answer on the low side.

At this point I have no idea what your product really is. A picture is the very least you need to start with so that we have some idea what you are talking about. Several pictures would be better from a few angles. A short bit of information expounding the benefits of your product and maybe the reason you were driven to create it in the first place would be a good idea too.

Then we may be able to answer your question.

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
btw, by "high quality" i mean, "sturdy" nothing close to what Creative Engineering could do. so maybe there's no point.

mechanickid:

Never say "No Point" to ingenuity! I didn't invent quality! You may be on to something! As Clotho said put up some pics.

Many engine installations require that the engine be tilted...my straight intake won't work! I can produce straight intakes quickly at a price of $12.00...but that means nothing if it won't work due to the fact that the engine is tilted to fit the frame; which is the case 99% of the time. My straight intake was the result of custom engine mounts that set the engine level...this is rarely the case!

Pursue your project!

Jim

mechanickid

Aug 7, 2008
nh
Ok, What you are doing here is called market research. Basically the idea is to try to figure out if there is a market for your product or not. If there is a market then you need to determine how much people will be willing to pay. It is good to remember that if you ask people outright what they think something is worth (if they are interested in it) That they will probably give you an answer on the low side.
Clotho,
Thanks for the information, but I was just being casual. I'm not set on doing this, I've already started a company building and selling professional audio cables. (TONS OF MARKETING RESEARCH) and don't have a lot of time to pursue this. Just wondered who would want one if I did try it, true I didn't give very much information on the subject or product, assuming that everyone already knew that the current intakes that come with the kits are very small and could be improved on with the right materials.

mechanickid:
Never say "No Point" to ingenuity! I didn't invent quality! You may be on to something! As Clotho said put up some pics.

Jim,
This is true, But if anyone's going to produce a performance upgrade and sell it, it would be you!
Not saying I cant, just not the extent you could.

It turned out the intake I needed a special seal to make it fit the engine right. so when I get that sorted out I'll post some pics, right now my engine isn't running regardless of the intake, could be the bottom engine block gasket.

I would make sure the angle of the part of the pipe that carb mounts on would be the same as the angle of the stock intake pipe, that seems to be a good standard.

Considering I don't have a welder, any of these I make will look like something that should come out of your water heater!

Thanks for the replies guys.

mechanickid

Aug 7, 2008
nh
A little, probably because of a new ring and good compression, but i didn't change anything else on it so its either the new ring or the bottom gasket. basically it runs but doesn't have much power at all.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
did you check your ring endgap before installing it on the piston? best guess at least 0.002 gap and that is only a guess.
you have to have some end gap on the ring so when its in the cylinder the rings two end don't butt into each other the ends can even with the locater pin on the piston.
Off hand I do not know the proper ring gap as I have not replaced a ring on one of these and I haven't bothered to check. I kind of figured if it poped it was replacement time for the engine.
piston side wall clearance can be a problem if too much or too little and don't forget the wrist pin bushing or bearing too loose or too tight lots of little small over looked things that can bite you.
Norman

Last edited:

mechanickid

Aug 7, 2008
nh
hmmm, i did have to grind down the new ring a little to make it fit, but its almost identical to the original. the gap is probably a fraction closer than the original, but im sure they're not butting because i checked them at the bottom of the cylinder before putting them on the piston. so unless the cylinder get smaller at the top it should be fine. i'll take the spark plug off and see what the friction is like. I didn't change anything with the wrist pin or bearing.

it actually runs well now, just doesn't have as much power...

thanks a lot.

mechanickid

Aug 7, 2008
nh
well im guessing it was the rings, or some metal filings that got stuck somehow, but there lots of scratches in the bore