Best tire for sand and small stones

GoldenMotor.com

sboricic123

Apr 15, 2013
Bailieboro, Ontario
I'm wondering what you would recommend as a good tire for travelling on sandy/small stones conditions. Quite often I ride on the shoulder of the road when I'm on a main highway, and loose traction when I hit those areas. Currently I'm using 26"x1.95". I haven't tried any wider tire to see if that will help some. But, I'm up for suggestions.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
I've been running the Continental Town & Country 26 x 2.1 . Street/Track/Off-Road I've been happy with them.

They give me good rolling resistance on the street and there off-road capabilities are not bad with 40psi or lower.

True, they are not as good off-road as say a knobby tire. But I find they are good balance between street and dirt. More for street but they still give you some bite on the dirt in my opinion.

Attachments

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
I've used the Continental City Ride II with great success. The conditions vary greatly in my part of the country --- good pavement, bad pavement, sand, gravel, etc. I've even ran this tire on mountain fire trails with confidence. My bike regularly sees 40mph (66kph) on the street.

This is my 2nd set on my bike. Current size is 26X1.75.

Best of luck in your decision!

Last edited:

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
I don't know all that much how the Knobby that are a Kenda inexpensive type, about 15 dollars each at REI, would be on concrete or assault with sand and small stones. As it is my bike is only legal off road with a registration sticker. No pedals required on the machine. Though some places I ride might be with hard pack dirt and sand and small stones it could be similar. Somehow I've manage not to spill, but my bike is geared low for about max 15mph. I think if knobby are the best, then it is just the rumble of the tires. Also I never thought of throwing out a knobby tire when there is still deep tread on the tire. Seems for real off road dirt biker enthusiasts, they find that the edges of the knobby tread when it loses its sharpness is time to replace a knobby. The wildest was trying to not spill when cutting through about 8 inch deep mud for a distance 4 feet length. You have to have the wheel straight ahead and have enough speed.

Sam90lx

Sep 29, 2015
Ventura CA
I've used the Continental City Ride II with great success. The conditions vary greatly in my part of the country --- good pavement, bad pavement, sand, gravel, etc. I've even ran this tire on mountain fire trails with confidence. My bike regularly sees 40mph (66kph) on the street.

This is my 2nd set on my bike. Current size is 26X1.75.

Best of luck in your decision!
40 mph, Nice.
What mods do you have and what it that exhaust you are running? Looks beastly.

FFV8

Oct 29, 2013
Spring Valley NV
I have has the best luck with the Schwalbe "Crazy Bob" in the loose stuff.

They are wider - 26 x 2.35 so they sink in less. The tread grips sand ok, and the breakaway tends to be gradual - instead of a surprise.