How many spokes do bicycles wheels use?

GoldenMotor.com

dtv5403

May 4, 2015
USA
Yes, I am not sure exactly how many different numbers of spokes a wheel can have, but some have as many as 168.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Ive seen as few as 10 and as many as 168... most common setup for a 26" rim is 36 but some of the more high end stuff will have just a few really thick spokes, and those low rider type show bikes are usually the ones with as many spokes that can be crammed onto one rim...

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
as far as how many they use, it is generally 2 that support most of the weight at any given time

a_dam

Feb 21, 2009
Momence, IL
I've always liked the look of the wheels with "a lot of spokes", especially when they are shined up. Back in the day, that meant the low-riders, but now there are even cheap kids bikes with lots. Looks like about a hundred, but could be many fewer on the small wheels. Should make for a strong wheel, but all those holes in the hub might be counterproductive.

Lately I've noticed certain WalMart bikes with few spokes. I think the bikes were "top of the line" (for walmart), so maybe around 300 bills. The spokes were black - either carbon fiber or, probably, faux carbon fiber. They were grouped in a weird 3-spoke crowfoot pattern and I think I counted them at 21 spokes. Anybody else see these?

I'm old and oldschool. Give me 36 to 48 spokes, stainless and shiny.