removing wheel spokes to fit hub for sprocket

GoldenMotor.com

Motakitty

Feb 14, 2015
San Jose, ca
So I have a manic hub and sprocket and I have a macargi puma gts with like 60 something spokes and can't get the hub three holes to line up and clear the wheel spokes. I wanted to know if I can remove just 3 spokes to get it to fit.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
You CAN, but removing spokes is NEVER a good idea. Tends to make things break especially under motor power...but it's your life dude.
The problem you are having is due to the 60 spoke count. All adapters are made for a normal 36 spoke rim as far as I know...
You might have to get a custom built or simply swap the rim for a normal one.
(I'd swap the rim myself)

Motakitty

Feb 14, 2015
San Jose, ca
My thoughts are that if 36 spokes are fine then why not 3 less then what I have. I don't want to make it less safe but I do like the look of the stock wheels.

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Like I said, it's your life.
36 spoke is designed for 36 spokes.
Your is the same. Removing spokes places a greater strain on the remaining spokes and can (and usually DOES) lead to broken spokes and eventual failure. At the very least, it will be a pain to keep trued and much more likely to bend under any serious load.
I STRONGLY advise you NOT to remove any spokes if your plan to ride the bike. ESPECIALLY under motor power.
I'm under a serious budget and I would still not do what you're thinking.
Sorry, but that's my opinion from decades of bicycling experience.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
a spoke doesn't need to be straight, just at proper tension - loosen & put a slight bend in 1 or 2 & see if it will fit then (3 if you have to), tighten after to get good alignment & tension on rim

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I'd try what crassius suggested and see if it fits. A bent spoke is not dangerous like a missing spoke.