Can A exaust leak At The Jug Cause A lean Condition?

GoldenMotor.com

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
....................................................................................:):)

Last edited:

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
Check the intake gasket, then throw it away.

I don't use an intake gasket, just RTV.

I would be more willing to bet on an intake leak rather than an exhaust leak honestly.

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
Have you pulled the jug off yet? What do the metal shavings look like?

When my piston ring rotated and trashed the ports, it made my motor run lean. Found some metal in the cylinder, it was really tiny balls of metal. I would assume the combustion heated the metal fragments and made them melt into balls. Who knows.

eDJ

Jul 8, 2008
Wayne National Forest
So, what can be done with old jugs ? Or is it just more cost effective to replace it with
a new piston & rings ? On a high milage motor will the bottom end be up to it ? I haven't
seen too much discussion of this ?

Anyone ever come up with a steel liner for an old one ? What rings would they use on it ? Iron ? Chrome ? Seems those Russian engines used a steel insert cylinder.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
if you can find an over size piston that will fit the rod etc. and find a shop that will bore the cylinder you might be able to do that. If by chance you work or know some one how works where they do the plating inside of the cylinder it could be re plated but its going to probably get expensive to do all this. Briggs engine run aluminum pistons in aluminum cylinders but these are 4-strokes I've raced with these briggs and have ran the living yell out of them up 7500 rpm using a synthetic oil with alcohol fuel.
Bottom line though these engines are made cheap and if you pop one decide if you want to hassle with buying a new top end hoping it will fit or just go and buy a new kit or some vendors will sell just the engine you'll have to call or email them to see if and what they have in stock. Dax will sometimes have returned engines that are not even ran returned because of a casting flaw where the cylinder studs are showing. They are perfect other than that some might have a broken cooling fin which is repairable with the aluminum solder sold at harbor freight I've done this and it works or ride it with the broke fin it will only look rough but runs fine.
Norman

seca40

Nov 15, 2008
Albuquerque
Seca 40 I think I saw you off of Central blvd By about Wyoming blvd somebody had just started up a china there as I flew past at 35 mph. I detected that pleasant sound of modified exhaust rubber necked a quick look saw someone that looked happy with there machine. The gutter on Central is so rough just floored it , and claimed a lane . I was on a blue schwinn with triple tree rock shox. It was running good that day I was actually holding back a little. About three weeks ago. Well just a little..duh.

Nope, wasn't me. I haven't ventured that far from home yet. I live in the North Valley. Oh, I just remembered. I was on Menaul and Wyoming but that was like two or three weeks ago or so. I hauled the bike to my buddies house to show it off and then rode to Der Wienerscnizel for lunch. I have big ol apes on my bike.