Monarch opinion

GoldenMotor.com

Redbiker

Jun 21, 2014
Michigan
What about monarch suspension? is that a good deal or what? im a crapshoot cranbrook rider so i'm looking to mod for smoother ride..

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I swapped a set of tripletree suspension fork to a cranny build. Made a HUGE difference and was free as I got the forks from a parts bike I scrounged up somewhere...
I'd post pics but they are buried DEEP in my photobucket account as the build sold last year.
If you want new, there are several springers available in addition to regular suspension forks.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I have a set of springers on one bike, they are the Sunlite heavy duty ones with brake bosses for V brakes, they work good on the street but on rough dirt roada I like the mountain bike suspension forks the best, they give a smoother ride on the pot holes and rough stuff in my opinion.

not sure about the Monarch forks but Im gonna guess thay will not be any smoother than a $40 set of old Scwinn type springer forks since they both use a stiff spring and have a very short travel ability.

mountain bike suspension is the smoothest I have used and I like them the best for where and how I ride.

map

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Remember a springer is just a spring. No damping.
A regular suspension, even the cheap ones, have the benefit of giving significant damping from the friction in the bushings. This makes a BIG difference. In my opinion, Springers are more appearance oriented.
If you want true suspension, go with the regular stuff from a modern bike.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Remember a springer is just a spring. No damping.
A regular suspension, even the cheap ones, have the benefit of giving significant damping from the friction in the bushings. This makes a BIG difference. In my opinion, Springers are more appearance oriented.
If you want true suspension, go with the regular stuff from a modern bike.
you summed up my feelings and thoughts on the matter perfectly maniac......!

the springers look ok but dont ride much if any better than a standard fork.

as soon as I get me another set of good suspension forks for the Kulana bike I'll probably putmy springers up for sale.

map