chain drive centrifugal supercharger

GoldenMotor.com

Cody

Feb 16, 2014
Arkansas
xct2ive been thinking of ways to get more from an engine without modifying the engine itself and I thought of a small supercharger with the rotor driven by the chain and a relief/blowoff valve between the charger and the intake. im currently making a rough 3D model using google sketchup and Ill post it soon

any input, advice or any other input is welcome

BigBlue

Nov 29, 2011
California
Someone else on this forum started with an idea of using a impeller from a household vacuum. Might want to do a search.

Also, might want to look at some of the superchargers from RC engines.

Definitely need some bearings that would endure some high speed.

Good Luck,

Chris
AKA: BigBlue

Cody

Feb 16, 2014
Arkansas
Someone else on this forum started with an idea of using a impeller from a household vacuum. Might want to do a search.

Also, might want to look at some of the superchargers from RC engines.

Definitely need some bearings that would endure some high speed.

Good Luck,

Chris
AKA: BigBlue
thanks man, do you think this is a practical idea or am I looking for power in all the wrong places?

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
You are looking in all the wrong places.There is no free lunch.
Build a nicely ported, properly tuned engine, bolt it into a good quality, properly built bicycle and ride it.
Superchargers are a bit impractical unless your paychecks come in a cargo container.....

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Not trying to squash innovation but if you're looking for performance enhancments take Maniac's advice. Also start with an expansion chamber exhaust, tune the carburetor properly and give some thought to a smaller rear sprocket if top end speed is what you're after. Trying to supercharge a Chinese 2 stroke could well be an effort in futility, and an expensive one with little payback.
Superchargers/turbochargers/ ram air induction and even nitrous oxide injection are all probably doable, but impratical with what you have to start with. Keep it simple and reliable.
It ain't a motorcycle.

Tom

Cody

Feb 16, 2014
Arkansas
someone told me briggs and straton makes a 2stroke, that is what ill be doing it to if I could have someone machine my charger design for cheap, I have an FMF fatty expansion chamber and I know how to make the engine run well but I know that in the end ill crave more so I was thinking of ways to increase power without impacting reliability, any odd-ball ideas welcome

Cody

Feb 16, 2014
Arkansas
and please don't say get a motorcycle, I want to do this to a bike because of the satisfaction of cruising down the highway on something I built

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
I don't usually just say "use the search" as it's rude... but when I did it w/our google custom search to try & provide some links, there were so many returns (key words: blower, supercharger, turbo, "ram air", "forced air", etc.) that I kinda glazed over a bit lol - this is a topic that's been extensively covered, even including by yours truly. ;)

Eventually although I found a RC (airplanes) outlet willing to fabricate an actual blower small enough for a 50cc four stroke, the projected gains were comparatively insignificant - with a bit more research I found that I could get well over four times the "boost" (power increase) for the same investment by simply going hybrid, adding an electric hub motor & battery pack to my four stroke powered project...

I don't mean to curtail creativity, jus' that you'd do yourself a disservice if ya didn't check out all the R&D already provided :)

Last edited: