Solid tire and friction drive

GoldenMotor.com

adastra

Aug 25, 2012
Tennessee
I run solid amerityres on a cruiser bike with a rear friction drive set up. I would prefer the look and comfort of balloon tires, but I liked never having to wory about a puncture.

downside is I apprently gouged the tire really bad, and it looks like the friction wheel must have set on idle too low and ground into it. the thing is, I wasn't really running the motor much yesterday so I can't figure out if that caused it, or if it was something caustic i drove over. The fact it's only a groove running perpendicular to the tire kind of tells me it has to be the friction roller.

Has anyone else had this problem? Amerityres are not easy to put on, and I don't have a spare, anyhow, so I am thinking of just going for now with an old spare cruiser tire and a slime-tube on the rear until I can get a good kevlar. I definately don't want to order another one and have it happen again, if they are just a bad match for friction drives.

bikebro

Feb 24, 2014
Ms
this seems like the absolute best tire for a friction drive; my first build was for looks...center frame motor, fat tires, etc. after for years of riding i am looking toward a friction drive for the simplcity and these ameritires seem to be a must have...i dont want to repair a tire...ever! hopefully one day soon we'll be able to buy the tires in the video below...check it out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijz3TnmxZ1o

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Cool tire! I have built several FDs over the years my favorite being a 98cc Lifan powered MTB. After fooling around with different tires my conclusion is the common 2.125 cruiser tire works the best used with thorn proof tubes. I run only 30lbs of pressure so the roller can settle into the tire. This set up works well with a high torque engine like the Lifan. Never had an issue with the thorn proof tubes. Standard tubes are another matter.