Fancy-laced spokes - good or no?

GoldenMotor.com

KnockKnock

Sep 10, 2013
CenTex
I was browsing the web and found some wheels that were laced up pretty nicely, but I question how well they hold up on a motorbike. Anyone doing anything other than the standard for added aesthetics? Any reason not to?

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Not likely to cause a problem for a front wheel but not something you want for a back wheel, 36 spoke standard lace for a bolt on sprocket.

knightscape

Jul 29, 2013
Maine
The first and second are the same, it's called "3 leading, 3 trailing" and is actually just an alternative 3-cross pattern, so it's as strong as a 3 cross, just looks different and is more complicated to lace/true or repair because of the way the spokes cross. You can't just always replace one spoke if you get a break. That second one is just not up to full tension which is why you see the curves. The last is called "Snowflake" and actually twists the spokes, which I wouldn't trust for regular riding let alone a motor. If one spoke pops the other instantly will go totally slack. Reasons not to try those on a motor bike would be if you are using a rag joint or sprocket adaptor, those might not jive. Could work fine, I dunno.

KnockKnock

Sep 10, 2013
CenTex
Thanks for your input KC. You've got some beautiful bikes, and I appreciate any advice you have to offer in regards to my new Panther build. I'm not sure if you read my other post, but your "Big Red" bike has been a big inspiration to me. Kk

KnockKnock

Sep 10, 2013
CenTex
The first and second are the same, it's called "3 leading, 3 trailing" and is actually just an alternative 3-cross pattern, so it's as strong as a 3 cross, just looks different and is more complicated to lace/true or repair because of the way the spokes cross. You can't just always replace one spoke if you get a break. That second one is just not up to full tension which is why you see the curves. The last is called "Snowflake" and actually twists the spokes, which I wouldn't trust for regular riding let alone a motor. If one spoke pops the other instantly will go totally slack. Reasons not to try those on a motor bike would be if you are using a rag joint or sprocket adaptor, those might not jive. Could work fine, I dunno.
Broken spokes on motorbike = BAD

I think I'll heed your warning, and stay away from the snowflake. Thanks, Kk