Monark 2 or beehive springer for 2.4 inch tire

GoldenMotor.com

maurtis

Dec 14, 2011
Kyle, TX
Hi all,

Ordering the last round of gear to start my ebike build and am down to the fork. The frame that I am building on is a 1999 Schwinn Cruiser Supreme, a camelback frame similar to the current Heavy Duti.

I originally planned on going with a Monark 2 from VMB, but he is not quite sure if there will be enough space for the wide tire, a 26 X 2.4 CST Cyclops Pro on a Weinmann DH39. Using a 90mm SA drum for the brake.

I know some people are running Hookworms with them, any comments? Otherwise I will just go with a beehive springer for now until I find something else I like.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Like i said before, that large tire will probably fit, but it will have very little clearance on each side; & both the Monark & the Schwinn 'beehive' forks will flex a little during heavy riding that might allow the tire to rub the fork legs. :/

maurtis

Dec 14, 2011
Kyle, TX
Thanks for the reply, Norm! Are there other good options in the $200 or less range? I really do not like the look of regular mountain bike forks on a cruiser frame, and I think downhill triple tree forks are a good deal more expensive :(

I plan on doing solely on road riding on reasonably smooth roads, between 30 and 40 MPH.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
To be honest, If you're going to be riding on smooth roads with those big tires?, they will be just fine with a solid fork!

That's why old bikes had those 'balloon' tires... (to give a smoother ride). ;)

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
To be honest, If you're going to be riding on smooth roads with those big tires?, they will be just fine with a solid fork!

That's why old bikes had those 'balloon' tires... (to give a smoother ride). ;)
Just run lower tire pressure in the fat tires.....right Norm? ;)

I think Norm likes about 20-25psi if i'm not mistaken.

The Cyclops will fit any fork you mentioned if mounted on a 1.75" wide rim or narrower so you can relax now Mike. I'd go the old Schwinn springer on that build....just sayin'.

Last edited:

maurtis

Dec 14, 2011
Kyle, TX
Thanks for the advice fellas! Scott, I am trying to relax... Once she gets rolling I will be able to relax. As is, I dropped $1,000 into this build and do not even know if the motor works yet (batteries are still on the slow boat from Hong Kong).

Ordered the beehive springer from you Norm! That saves me $100 to spend on the final miscellaneous bits for the build (fuse holder, cut off switch, velcro...). Worst case scenario, I can just keep the stock rigid fork as a backup.

Thanks again fellas!

Greybeard

Feb 8, 2011
Sequim WA
Re: Monark 2 or beehive springer for 2.4 inch tires

Pat @ Sportman Flyer makes a fork that I'm sure will handle your tire. You'll need to contact them though as its not in the parts list yet.

Attachments

maurtis

Dec 14, 2011
Kyle, TX
Thanks Greybeard. I have no doubt that Pat's fork would blow my budget, but I will contact him to see how much he is charging and save my pennies if the cheaper beehive does not work out...

maurtis

Dec 14, 2011
Kyle, TX
I spoke to Pat and he recommended the Sunlite Deluxe Springer forks, their Monark replica. They look sold out everywhere right now, though, so maybe I will pick up a set later on down the road...

maurtis

Dec 14, 2011
Kyle, TX
BTW, got my beehive springer in from VMB yesterday... thanks Norm! The tire has about 0.25" clearance on each side, so we will see if there are rubbing issues from flex once I get the bike rideable.

FWIW, the brake arm retaining band for my SA drum brake fit perfectly on the fork. I was worried that the fork arm would be too thin, but was the perfect size! I am still going to add a backup bracket just in case, but was glad to see the OEM bracket fit.