Laced up like Mr Rogers! How not to build a wheel

GoldenMotor.com

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Where cattle outnumber people 3 to 1.
So the blue aluminum rim that came on my Schwinn wasn't doing it for me. I started looking it over and realized it all comes apart in a way I can understand. I had a Huffy wheel that the rim was more stout than my Schwinn, so I put the hub and spokes from the Schwinn onto the Huffy rim. Took four tries before I realized I had to remove all the spokes on one side, and flip them around. That allowed me to match the Huffy spoke 'pattern?' and true it up.

If you want to do this, I'd suggest some research first. If you are able to read this post, you are smart enough to do this yourself!:) Take your time, get it true, and check it regularly.

This was a very fulfilling project for me, and I think anyone would gain mechanical confidence doing this. My disclaimer is that if you screw up, you're gonna wreck in a big way, so don't tell the paramedic that Trey will pay the bill!:)

UPDATE: It's been six months, and I can only guess 200ish miles? When I did this, I noticed one nipple was loosing it's thread 'bite' on it's spoke. I should have taken it back apart, but it did tension up, so I figured I'd see how it turned out. I've been feeling a 'lope' while riding lately- like the drive gear was oval shaped... nope, the rear rim is. Time to build it right.

Last edited: