easy way to adjust brakes on your motorized bicycle

GoldenMotor.com

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
this is a trick i learned long ago to adjust you brakes. first screw the barrel on the lever all the way out. next with your hands hold the brakes tight to the rim. loosen the screw that holds the cable to the brakes and pull it tight and screw it down tight again. take the barrel on the lever and screw it all the way in and your breaks should be close to perfect if your tires are true.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
it's the opposite with drum brakes. on most of them, the cable stop on the hub has to be forced into place by squeezing the actuator arm on the hub and popping the cable stop into place.

you need to tighten the barrel adjuster in all the way, then get the brake as tight as you can and still slip the cable stop on. then adjust the barrel out.

that's why drum brakes usually have a longer barrel adjuster.

also, the locking nut on the barrel adjuster that you screw down to keep the tension likes to loosen up while you're riding, so i put a little ziptie around the adjuster after the nut to keep it in place.

May 9, 2013
Laguna Beach, Ca.
Thanks Paul, great tip! I have one more thing to add: If you have a dual-pull brake lever and you need your front brake to engage slightly sooner (stronger) than the rear, back the barrel for the front brake out slightly less than the rear before re-tightening.

Last edited: