brake problems

GoldenMotor.com

Racko

Jul 24, 2012
Wisconsin
[/IMG]

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/846/dsc1553v.jpg/
im having some dificulty with my brakes. i fabricated this piece from an old walmart bike and cut it off and then welded it onto the frame. sometime when i brake going at speed about 16 and can brake at a pretty good rate with pads fully aplied. and at other times fully applied it takes a long time to brake and i feel very unsafe. i sanded the rim to try and give the pads a little grip. do i just need new pads, im lost brakes are important i need them. please give me your experience I NEED HELP

Andyinchville1

Manufacturer/Dealer
Dec 26, 2007
Scottsville, VA
HI,

Hard to tell from the pics but I have read that chromed steel rims have lesser braking ability than than aluminum rims...I can't remember where I read that tho (of course, generally speaking, bikes with aluminum rims tend to be of higher quality so maybe everything else being upgraded too makes the difference?).

Anyways, sanding the rim is interesting but maybe try cleaning the rim with some brake cleaner...you would be surprised how a little bit of oil film can greatly reduce braking performance.

If the pads are old and maybe glazed over you may try sanding the surface of them to get to the "new" rubber....If that doesn't work maybe try a good set of aftermarket brake pads.

NOTE: For max braking performance your rims need to be true...I would also check that the brake arms are rigid and not flexing back and forth (from front to rear when viewing the brakes from the seat).

Hope this helps.

Andrew

PS - Whatever you do, for your sake and others possibly, make sure you get the braking figured out...sometimes you just have to stop...FAST!

Last edited:

retromike3

Jan 9, 2009
Beaverton OR
they do make a brake pad just for steel rims, I forgot who made them ,but they do seem to help out. the brakes I like to use are the stock V brake with koolstop pad. for me they seem to work well enough for me and I have been able to kill the engine with the brake. One thing I do before I get going in the morning is to check my brake pads before I start out, because I can wear out a set very quickly.

mike