Best source for white/cream balloon tires?

GoldenMotor.com

maxsideburn

Dec 7, 2009
Scott, LA
I've seen quite a few vintage looking cruisers with cream colored (sorta off-white) balloon tires. Just wondering what's the best place to order some like that? I'm about to start working on a project that I think they'd look great on but haven't been able to locate any.

Thanks.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
I can't offer direction to a source, but recall reading where Cobrafreak did not care for the reflective stripe material used in one brand of tire he bought for his period replica bike... just sayin'...
Good luck
rc

One day, I'll get some of the clay colored tires for a period bike... I figger they will not show grease or road grime so much...

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I like the cream electra tires through amazon. Reasonable price includes shipping, too. Only come in 26" I like that they have no reflective tape, no glaring lettering. I also have a pair of Fat Franks which I don't like as well. The rubber is too soft, wears quickly and I don't like the lettering.
SB

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
'Best is a relative term'. Best in what respect? I have experience with Fat Franks (they are wider), but that makes for very little clearance for drive chain and pedal chain. Any cream tire will show grease marks. I have ones on my rear tire which are now permanent. I also don't like the Fat Frank logo for a bike I want to look vintage. The ride is terrific, taking a lot of the bumps out of the road. I've noticed that they seem to wear quickly. My rear tire is very nearly bald. No, I don't peal out. Ha!

The Electras are a lighter cream color and have no offensive lettering jumping out at you, so they look good on a vintage ride. The ride is like about any other tire of that size (2.125). They don't seem to have as soft a rubber (or whatever tires are made of now) as the Franks. I can't comment on how they wear as I don't have enough miles on them to say. The Franks are pricey, the Electras through Amazon are a good deal with free shipping (at least when I've bought them, two sets now.
SB