Coaster brakes weak.

GoldenMotor.com

Finfan

Aug 29, 2008
Tucson, AZ USA
I purchased a clearance priced Huffy "Santa Fe" cruiser and I have noticed during non powered test rides that the coaster brakes are barely there. When I try to brake the bike slows to a stop but I cannot lock up the rear wheel. Is this just a symptom of a cheap bike or might I have messed something up when I greased the bearings and installed the rear sprocket? In either case what can I do make the brakes more effective? I'm installing front and rear brakes in addition to the coaster but I want to have as much stopping power as possible. Thanks for any advice!

u2seek42

Aug 1, 2010
US
Hey sounds like mine, barley any brake even with effort. What can I do?
The arm appears right.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
If you really want to stick with a coaster brake set up, I can only recommend getting a different rear wheel with a Shimano CB110 hub.
Pirate sells them.
Pirate Cycles
They also sell the cheaper Husky wheels, but the Worksman wheels are much better quality.

You would be leaps and bounds better off converting to a direct pull rim brake or disc brake though.

Last edited:

u2seek42

Aug 1, 2010
US
Naw have to stick with what I have, I went and looked at the exloded view of this thing, I'll try that first.

I will also be begin carrying my umbrella to use as my chute...

maurtis

Dec 14, 2011
Kyle, TX
The Falcon coaster brake on my 2002 Cranny was terrible, even when just pedal powered. I noticed the hub was a good deal smaller than the ones that come on modern Crannys.

When I switched to a rear wheel with a Shimano CB-E110 hub, the coaster brake worked much better. If I get off the seat and stand on the pedals, I can lock the rear wheel. Still takes a looooooong time to stop from 30+, but at least it tries.

I would definitely suggest a front brake as well, though. It only takes one incident where you cannot stop quick enough to end it all...