Wiring Trouble (last thing i need help on)

GoldenMotor.com
Aug 2, 2011
San Diego, Califronia
Ok, so i have 2 cables coming out of the CDI (blue and black) along with the spark plug wire. I have 3 wires going out of the engine (blue, black, and white), and i have 2 from the kill swith (black and red). WHAT GOES WHERE!!???

PLEASE HELP!

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
And, don't rely on those little push-on connectors that come with the kit.
We always recommend that the splices be soldered and protected with heat shrink tubing. Like Duct Tape said, be sure to isolate that white wire so it can not come in contact with any part of the bike/engine.
Tom

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
I connect the white wire to the kill switch and it works great. That way the higher voltage of the blue wire does not get dissapated and goes straight to the CDI only. The white wire which has much less resistance and heavier gauge is better suited to having a direct short circuit imposed on it by the kill switch when shutting down and still causes the engine to quit immeadiatly.

ceh1138

Aug 9, 2011
santa cruz
i'm just getting my bike together and have a question about this. the blue wire is snapped off at the generator. can i run the blue from the coil and red from kill switch to the white from the gen? and just leave the blue from gen deleted?

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Nope.

The blue wire has to go to the CDI.

The black wire has to go to the CDI.

Anything else is optional. Although stopping the engine will be much more inconvenient w/o a kill switch.

rollinghills

Sep 29, 2011
Portland, OR
Thanks for the info on this thread. None of it was in my install kit.. well, it was but it was a very confusing way to put it with horribly faded pictures as a reference. So my question is -

For the kill switch, does it matter which wire goes to blue and which to black, or is it just a circuit that kills current, so it doesn't matter which end you connect???

I'd hate to short something out because I didn't take the time to ask.

Thank you guys! Getting excited to get on this beast, only have the wiring to finish!

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
It makes no difference which kill switch wire goes where. The kill switch (button) is just a momentary contact that connects the two wires coming from it. It's too bad the factories even waste time using differnt color wire for the kill switch. It just confuses people.

Contrary to popular belief the white wire is not a heavier guage wire from the magneto. It is a #16 wire just like the blue and black. That's another mistake from the factory. The white wire shouldn't even be there. Many of us snip it off during the engine installation and make sure it can not come in contact with any metal part of the engine.
The white wire was originally put there to power a light but in reality it can only accomodate a lamp with a wattage of less than 3 watts. You won't get much light from 3watts so the idea is redundant. A few have found a way to charge a battery from the white wire but you need to know some electronics to do that right.
Good luck.
Tom

Attachments

Last edited: