My first build

GoldenMotor.com

TexasChopperGuy

Sep 4, 2011
Richmond, VA
So I'm in the midst of building my first MB, and this is the starting point. It's a daily rider as it is, 4 miles one way to work and back, but will be going with a different set of handlebars and possibly fenders. I'm working on a new set of forks now to convert it over to front and rear disc brakes, and considering a SRAM i-Motion 9 hub. I'm building it the way Johnny Cash would, "one piece at a time" lol...

I've already stripped it down, repainted flat olive drab aka army green, and cleaned up everything, plus repacked all bearings with synthetic goodness. Hoping to finish this build within the next few months. Either way that Cloud 9 saddle is comfortable and goes well with the look of the bike, unlike the front tire. In swapping the front tire/wheel I realized I didn't have a more cruiser styled 26" tire, so the old MTB tire stayed, just temporary. The rear holds a 24x3 tire, makes for a nice ride. Going whitewalls soon after the wheels get repainted and laced to their new hubs.

Pics to post as build progresses. I also have 2 other bikes I'm rebuilding so sorry for any delay.

Attachments

Last edited:

TexasChopperGuy

Sep 4, 2011
Richmond, VA
a little more work completed the past few days, swapped out handlebars with a different set from a kids moto type bmx cycle, liked the way they worked out laid down for a mounting place for the headlight. keeps a drag type look with a different flair. reworking the chaingaurd and planning out the jackshaft and engine install. Disc brake hubs are on it, though I'll have to relace the rear wheel once I get the new 9 speed hub in a couple of months. I've seriously thought about going to a 110cc/4speed swap but am thinking I'd be better off with the 66/80cc build to start with. Next thoughts, wondering what color to paint the wheels that goes well with the italian olive satin frame....I'm debating gloss black or gloss red since I'm going with white wall tires. thoughts?

Also contemplating modifying a pair of 54oz catch cans for coolant to work as fuel tanks. I'd straddle a mount over the frame and use both cans with a T coupling to supply fuel to the carb, these are polished stainless steel and should be easy to modify and fairly cheap.

Last edited: