got my motor, and now what....

GoldenMotor.com

watsup

Apr 28, 2011
new york
ok got my motor, now it fits fine in the frame, tons of room so far.... but if i have the back mount flush on the seat tube part of the frame, the front of the motor mount does not sit flush, the top part i believe only touches and the bottom part is off the frame by like 1/4 inch..... what should i do?????

Bicycle Motor Fun

Sep 17, 2011
Warren, Michigan
I think that you could take care of this gap or mis-match by adding some thick rubber pads to both motor mounts and then split the difference in the mis-match. Give this idea a try and see how it works. Karl

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Me and the majority of builders will argue against the use of rubber in the engine mounts.
The engine needs to be mounted solid to the frame and with full contact in the mounts.
You didn't say what frame you have but most 'V' frame bikes will allow the engine to be mounted without modification or special mounts. Many cruiser style frames will require some imagination when it comes to the front mount.
Use the search feature, key word, 'Mounting' and you'll have lots to read.
You might want to start with this thread > http://motorbicycling.com/f6/motorized-bicycle-oversized-tubing-solved-6427.html
It will give you lots of ideas to work with.
Tom

Last edited:

klapool

Aug 29, 2011
Wisconsin
I took a grinder with a flapwheel and opened up the front mount so it fit around the front down tube, and then moved the whole engine down a little lower so the front and back mounts fit flush. Worked great!

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
I agree with 2door, as many will. I myself have tried rubber engine mounts and regard that attempt as a failure. The engine needs to be mounted solid. That means grinding that front mount til it sits flat or using a universal mount like the one SBP sells. That universal front mount allows for a wider mounting angle, as well as oversize downtubes.

klapool

Aug 29, 2011
Wisconsin
I agree with 2door, as many will. I myself have tried rubber engine mounts and regard that attempt as a failure. The engine needs to be mounted solid. That means grinding that front mount til it sits flat or using a universal mount like the one SBP sells. That universal front mount allows for a wider mounting angle, as well as oversize downtubes.
I too, tried the rubber mounts on my sons bike and ended up ripping the mount studs out of the engine case and had to tap and re thread them to 5/16ths.

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas
I'm shivering, A solid mount is paramount! The studs are junk to start with. You have a steel chain right at your ankles. The front mount breaks. The motor comes left from torque. Your ankle is dog food before you know it. Not many MB riders wear boots. Some bikes the motor will not clear the sprockets when mounted. Other mounting is required. I love my feet, they start my MB. NEVER use rubber for a spacer! (c)

fm2200

Nov 16, 2008
new york city
Never tried it but it's good to know it's not the way to go. I know the standards of quality on these kits are minimum. When I read about guys stripping out the engine mounts I think are they over torquing or just bad luck, probably both. I put my bike together before I ever knew there was this mb site to get tech info and usesful tips.