Gear Ratio

GoldenMotor.com

OrangeBrian

Jun 30, 2009
hawaii
I am running on the 44 tooth gear. I want to upgrade it, but i do not know what gear ratio do i get I live in a place that has alot of hills. Would anyone recomend me a gear ratio I want to have speed at leats 35mph and able to climb hills too. Oh yea Anyone has a Kings Custom Sproket?
Mahalo,Brian

Last edited:

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
35 AND climb hills? Good luck.
Most won't make 35 with a 44T, if you try to gear up,you aren't going to climb many hills.

With something like a SBP shift kit and maybe a pipe, you could do a lot better with a 40T

OrangeBrian

Jun 30, 2009
hawaii
well i live wheres there are hills i just want to know how many teeth dose it take to make me get up to 35 mph and still be able to climb hills too

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
depends on how fat you are, how much of a tank your bike is, how much air's in yer tires, etc.

seems like most of the people (who aren't lying about speed) seem to get 35mph out of a 40t, and you should be able to climb hills.

also depends on your bike. my bike has a 30t, i'm 135lbs, my bike weighs as much as a small hippopotamus, and it climbs hills all day long. i mean, it would, if i could find a hill that big...

Alson

May 16, 2010
Kankakee Illinois
I get 36 mph on a 44t, and I have an expansion chamber from SBP, youed be able to clime step hills all day, Im thinking of going with a 40t it would probly get me going 39 or 40 mph, we dont have much big hills, oh I opened the intake gasket opened more and filed the aluminum intake open moreand got 2 more mph. The expansion chamber realy woke the engine up, gave it a lot of pickup powerr.ly.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
My bike is 48cc with a 40T and 26" wheels. It runs 31 mph on a level surface, and 35 on slight downhill. I consider it's hill climbing ability pretty good. On a steep uphill it will hold about 20 mph. Strong head wind seems to effect it more than hills. I weigh, wait for it, 220 lb.

Lubo25

Dec 22, 2009
hamilton
the stock 4.4:1 final drive ratio and I acquire a speed of 65-70km/h, next modification is to go down to a 3:1 final drive, the main down fall for speed on these engines is the internal gear ratio of approximately 4:1, kick that down to about 3.0-3.3:1 and you will notice a high boost in speed, but nobody makes custom ratios that I know of

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
the stock 4.4:1 final drive ratio and I acquire a speed of 65-70km/h, next modification is to go down to a 3:1 final drive, the main down fall for speed on these engines is the internal gear ratio of approximately 4:1, kick that down to about 3.0-3.3:1 and you will notice a high boost in speed, but nobody makes custom ratios that I know of
Easier said than done, literally.

I have never heard of anyone fabricating internal gears for the HT engine.

4.4 x 4.1 = 18.04
4.4 x 3.3 = 14.52

4.1 x 36t rear sprocket = 14.76:1
4.1 x 30t rear sprocket = 12.3:1

It is SO much easier to fab rear sprockets and arrive at the same final drive, than kicking down the internal gear ratio from 4.1:1 to 3-3.3:1:-||

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
well i live wheres there are hills i just want to know how many teeth dose it take to make me get up to 35 mph and still be able to climb hills too
Brian and I live on the same street, two blocks from each other.

However, my rides lead me out of our hilly suburb towards Waikiki, which is 10 miles away. There are three or four moderate hills around us. Other than that, it's flat ground. I'm presuming that Brian hangs close to home.

Brian runs Happy Time engine, pipe and a single sprocket. I use a Tanaka 47R engine, expansion pipe and shift kit.

Brian, on the steepest hills heading east near Salt Lake Shopping Center, my speed drops down to 25 mph. If I get a running start, I can climb it between 25-30mph.xct2

i would recommend the SBP shift kit with 9-tooth jackshaft sprocket. With the engine tuned properly, Orange Brian should be able to climb hills and hit 35mph or faster.

Last edited: