Coaster brake is just locked up

GoldenMotor.com

Ed Marshall

Nov 17, 2010
Rockford
I've got an old cruiser with a china girl kit on it, that I picked up from someone at a garage sale. The rear wheel went out and I bought another one and when I was replacing it I had to take the wheel apart to get the sproket on the right side of the wheel because it wouldn't go around the coaster brake.

After I put it all back together the coaster brake is spinning with the tire and if it's tightened up the wheel won't turn forward at all so the brake is engaged. I haven't had a coaster brake since I was a kid, and I have no idea what I did wrong.

Anyone have any ideas?

On edit, poking around here, i think I'm going to have to modify or remove the dust cover.

Last edited:

ruppster

Mar 3, 2010
maine
Are the inner nuts too tight? One of the guys had a post on how to servive a coaster brake. Take it back apart and make sure there's nothing obvious wrong, It's hard to tell what's wrong without seeing it.

Hammond Egger

Oct 23, 2010
Tucson, AZ
There are at least 100 ways to put a coaster brake hub back together, unfortunately only one of them is the right way. Take it apart and put it back together enough times and the right way becomes obvious. It only took me two days to figure it out.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Most of the time, you have to 'trim' off the edge of the dust cap that covers the bearings behind the brake arm. When you tighten the new sprocket down it can press down on the edge of the dust cap (the dust cap doesn't spin with the wheel or new sprocket!)
Use the search bar at the top of this page & look up 'dust cap mod'.