Armidillo Tires - wobble??

GoldenMotor.com

robin

Nov 15, 2008
Penticton British Columbia Canada
I should know the answer tomorrow when i change my tire but here is the question.
I have both tires as Armidillo 1.95 and they were both installed backwards.They ran smooth even at high speeds- Backwards was brought to my attention when changing a rear tube--the rear tire was rectified but the front still is the wrong direction--however now when riding it-it feels unstable and --i guess they act like mixing a bias ply and a radial on a car ? Tomorrow--i ran out of light tonight-i will change the front and see if it stabilizes.Will report--any of you guys ever experience this ?
Also the tube had sheared right off at the valve stem but was not a metal stem--do you guys use metal stems and heavy duty tubes ?

reb1

Aug 15, 2010
CALIFORNIA
The valve breaking off is a sign of low pressure. It was probably working its way around for some time. The tire may have worn uneven because of low pressure also. I had Armadillo tires on my tandem. I had to replace them when the black rubber started separating from the casting over the tread. Tandems are hard on tires. I usually over inflate them. This causes some tires to separate before there time.

robin

Nov 15, 2008
Yea ill have to check and see if the rubber seperated and thats why the ride is so rough.It almost acts like a bump in the tire but the rim is true--it happened at high speed so i may have damaged it.

Last edited:

reb1

Aug 15, 2010
CALIFORNIA
robin: Is there any visible movement from side to side or up or down while spinning either wheel. If everything is running straight and you can see no visible damage then you need to do an experiment and see if a different tire solves the problem. Did you add any wheel reflectors or lights to the spokes. This can cause problems. Strapping something like a handlebar bag on the front and putting several pounds of food or other items can cause high speed wobbles sometimes also.
Can you tell me at what speed the bump or wobble happens and describe it. Does the wobble stop when you change hand positions or place a knee against the frame.

robin

Nov 15, 2008
Well today i took it into the bike shop --guess what? the rear wheel bearings of the drive axel were shot -they are replacing these as soon as their order comes in--the sprocket was fine and the tires are fine - thanks guys for your help !

reb1

Aug 15, 2010
CALIFORNIA
Yeah that can happen also. I haven't used hubs that would create this kind of problem for over twenty years. All my hubs use sealed bearings and have over sized hardened stainless steel axles. With two 5mm hex wrenches I can take them apart.
If I had been there to look at your wheel I could have noticed this by the usual check over I do before I ride. Use this as a learning experience so you can catch it or anything else before other problems occur.