Slant head?

GoldenMotor.com

flybytaco

Metal Molding Madman
Oct 17, 2009
seekonk MASS
After about 2,000 miles on my old motor I found an engine on ebay called the H2 Slant head with my usual upgrades after market carb tuned expansion chamber and of course a nice jakshaft assembly I pulled 42 mph on flat road. Also I was told it was 68.5cc over the traditional 66cc. I Love it!
good stuff

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn
sounds like you guys are talking about 2 different slant heads. If your slant head came from Jim/CreativeEngineering then I would NOT mess with it at all, jus install it. If however your slant head came from China, I suggest sanding it till it is totally gone and buy a slant head from Jim/CreativeEngineering.

flybytaco

Metal Molding Madman
Oct 17, 2009
seekonk MASS
sounds like you guys are talking about 2 different slant heads. If your slant head came from Jim/CreativeEngineering then I would NOT mess with it at all, jus install it. If however your slant head came from China, I suggest sanding it till it is totally gone and buy a slant head from Jim/CreativeEngineering.
jim dosent sell heads..

Riding Rich

Aug 14, 2009
pa
PIRATE CYCLES

Jim is making these for Justin.
Were waiting for the 1st shipment.

I am sure Justin and Jim will let you know when there availabe.

Were all excited.

flybytaco

Metal Molding Madman
Oct 17, 2009
seekonk MASS
but he does make them, and he DOES sell them to someone.
maybe you could tell these nice people where they could get one of Jim's nice heads.
at the moment you cant get them anywhere. they will be sold by pirate cycles and pirate cycles only. they should be available in a couple of weeks.

Gareth

Dec 8, 2009
Floriduh
I was at Jim's shop today. The prototypes look great. Get a hold of Justin at Pirate cycles, as stated to get one as they have exclusive rights to sell the new billet heads.

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
Yes guys,

Pirate Cycles will be the exclusive distributor for this product. It's a matter of logistics!

I have been working on these for awhile. The one thing that has been a constant nag is the fact that these engines are slightly different from one supplier to the next. With a part such as the cylinder head...slightly different is the difference between success and failure.

The PK80's are consistent dimensionally, so it is feasible to offer a replacement cylinder head. I will have the Grubee GT-5 in a few days, and make the necessary changes in order to offer the cylinder head for this engine also.

The measurements that I would require, from each customer, makes individual sales out of the question. The percentage of customers that would have the kind of measuring equipment required is so small that a production run would never happen and the cost of the product would likely double. I will be creating a web page on my site with all of the details, so that those who do want to take the measurements can. Deck height, cylinder bore diameter, and piston crown must be identical to the PK80.

It was a logical move to ask Justin if he wanted to stock billet cylinder heads. Without Pirate Cycles, this product would have stayed at the shop as something that I added to my own builds exclusively.

In order to manufacture these at an attractive price, I must make them in batches. For this product there is no margin, (on my end), built into the cost to handle individual orders.

Pirate Cycles has the resources to handle the sales aspect.

I’ve been working with Justin at Pirate Cycles since last spring when he bought 10 sprocket adapters with sprockets for his local builds. We have been working together ever since.

By purchasing my products through Pirate Cycles you guys are helping the Manic Mechanic shop in a direct way.

On a side note: there is another product that I have long wanted to release but couldn’t; again due to the dimensional differences:

A replacement for the meat tenderizer wheel that the Chinese refer to as an engine drive sprocket.

I’m sure everyone has noticed the popping noise that occurs when pushing the bike, clutch in. The sprocket geometry is all wrong, and is just one more source of vibration when riding. I know there are a lot of threads on modifying the factory sprocket in order to alleviate this problem, but really it should be chucked in the bin and replaced with a part that has been made correctly. The difference between the factory sprocket and one that has been properly machined is night and day.

After taking measurements from numerous engines, I found that the tapered shaft varies +/-.020”. The keyway size varies also. Once again it was not possible to offer a one-size-fits-all product, so I have never offered it. The PK80’s are consistent, so it will be practical to offer a replacement sprocket for these engines.

Jim

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn
Well, that's just good news on top of good news. It sounds like things are settling into place for some really nice 2-stroke motors at decent prices. Here's hoping there will be even more good news like this to come.

PaulFlorida

Dec 4, 2009
central florida
Jim, this may have already been thought of, but I'll bring it up. The countershaft sprocket, the tapered shaft, and keyway are inconsistant from factory to factory. This makes a universal sprocket upgrade impossible. However, is it possible to build an all-inclusive group of parts capable of installation in any HT? I have a real pet peve with the garbage sprocket, but wont upgrade the junk chain without upgrading the sprocket too. So I'm running a garbage drive system in the meantime, and adjusting it evey ride.

Riding Rich

Aug 14, 2009
pa
Lucky Taco

I wont have my head till tomorrow.
Soon enough i suppose.

Hurry up Taco i want to hear it run.

Bombardier

Feb 3, 2010
australia
the 66cc PK80 with the slant head we purchased direct from china on ebay from
cammy_cc had 2 head gaskets on it to reduce the compression ration. it also has a dome piston .there is plenty of clearance with just 1 gasket or no gasket but the compression is too high causing it to stall at low revs .being a mechanic my self i thought the 2 gaskets was a mistake but i guess when they made them with the dome piston they found the compression ratio was closer to 9 to 1 rather than 6 to 1 .with 2 gaskets its still about 8 to 1 .im guessing the slant head was designed to be run with a flat top piston origionally .also the slant head was designed to run a extended nose spark plug to put the spark in the correct position in the combustion chamber .i noticed when i ran the same heat range normal spark plug it fowled very quickly compaired with the extended nose spark plug .

Sparks66

Nov 4, 2009
San Jose, Ca
I bought a slant head from Boy Go Fast along with two gaskets. I only used one gasket and torqued the bolts to about 13 ft. lbs. I am definitely going 1-2 miles per hour faster and my pickup is noticably better. I did not have any clearance issues.
Sparks66

Riding Rich

Aug 14, 2009
pa
I think the main reason for the 2 gaskets to reduce the compression is because some people have trouble starting the bike.

The back tire likes to skid.

It will run fine at 9:1 compression.