Magneto rewinding

GoldenMotor.com

reg454

Jan 11, 2009
michigan
What causes a back fire? And how do you fix that?
From what I saw when my motor backfired it was the CDI firing when the piston was down and igniting the fuel in the engine causing it blow out through the intake which at the same time blew one of the bearings out and I had to push it back in. I also need to get a new seal for that bearing becasus it destroyed it.

reg454

Jan 11, 2009
michigan
I got my NEw MAG in today, hooked it up and bam she started. I have an air leak in the carnkcase seal for the MAGneto engine revs high but I can kill the motor with the choke on, to fix this i put gasket maker and the cover and I have proper Idle now but I think their is bad gas so im waiting for the motor to cool then I will change it out and monkey with the carb a bit the idle adjustment screw is not working it will only take a few minutes to fix.

Oct 23, 2014
Beaver Meadows Pa.
I'm The Real Flying Dutchman and I am also being tortured by these crappy magnetos. I had several BIKE Berry Dot Com kits every Mag from 7 kits I bought failed every CDI but one. I just recently sent a pile of Mags and CDI's back to Bike Berry and this really obnoxious Beeotch Kelsey called me the ohm spec on the Mags like the one I sent back is 500 ohms! I never had one test past 400 marginally the Mag I sent back had 0 reading by the way. Unless she was holding her finger on the test leads of the meter itself she was lying and she was really obnoxious... A total crack head. Considering I won 5 modified championships before I was 35 years old.....Nobody will ever tell me anything about a naturally aspirated engine I do not know... 2 cycle is a bit dicey in certain areas. Since spark is essential I saw a mans posts REG about him trying to rewind a mag...

Lets all get together on this I'm sure if Reg and I concur there is a substantial problem to conquer I'm sure someone out there has magnetic winding background. Lets kill this thing perhaps start our business fixing these mistakes. Can anyone accurately give me a materials manifesto to rewind a bike magneto? ANYONE OUT THERE DO NOT DEAL WITH BIKE BERRY DOT COM. They are worthless. I did talk to Josh at KIT BIKE DOT COM.. Love the dude open honest and he admits there is a spate of this going on recently with these MAGS. That is why we should all put our heads together. If a war does break out with the USA and CHINA most of these replacement parts are gonna obsolete period. We need to find someone somewhere for MAG and for CDI replacements on this soil.. U.K. folks lets here from you too. I have a yahoo ID [email protected]

oogamiser

May 18, 2014
mass
I got a kit from bikeberry, the motor itself has lasted 60 miles or so, I've burned out two magnetos and one cdi...possibly two with the latest malfunction...I tore apart the magneto out of frustration figuring I would just rewind it at some point...it was burnt out completely, black spots in the secondary finer wire, smelled like melting and burning epoxy, no good...rewinding it shouldn't be difficult, not with the ideas floating around in my head anyways...think drills and crazy glue and a stop watch...anyways, I'm broke so I can't go and get the wire to rewind the mag with...but eventually I will...btw, I have beaten on the motor...it's just the ignition that is completely lacking...if someone wants to send me some wire so I can figure out exactly what will work or not that would be great...I was thinking of using a slightly larger diameter wire going from a possible 28 gauge to a 27 gauge...I'll figure out how much more current that might draw...if when I get the money to, I am able to rewind the magneto, and get it to work, I will post details...but the process really is straight forward...it's just the number of turns and diameter of wire that makes it difficult

Oct 23, 2014
Beaver Meadows Pa.
I just totally ripped apart my magneto and what I found was this the bulk of the thin gauge wire is the blue wire connected to the ground and the white wire. The first part of the windings like 5 layers (a layer of tape separate them) is the white wire a thicker gauge than the blue it is connected to the ground and the blue wire. So both the blue and white have a common ground. The rest of the layers (no separation of the layers) blue is just spun anyway the person who did it felt like.

Pictures below

White wire

You can kind of see where they are all connected in this pic

You can see the separation of the layers of the wire here and the blue windings most of it taking off (note their is a layer of tape between the white and blue layers).

I am going to rewind the coil and separate the grounds between the 2 that way their will be loss of power when I want to hook up light system to it. Their will be just 4 wires coming out of the magneto cover instead of 3. I will also get rid of the ground soldered to the magneto.

Going to radio shack now to pick up some wire.

empty magneto
There is a Magnetic windings company in TAMAQUA PENNSYLVANIA called Martins Electric. Please do not curse on the phone with Daryl they are my Amish kin folks. Again it is MARTINS ELECTRIC, TAMAQUA PENNSYLVANIA. you can get the number from Verizon @ 411 Or people you can contact me at YMR MOTORSPORTS in the Pocono Mountain here. Our #570-459-6988. We do service work on these bikes and 4cycle bikes scooters and mopeds as well. We do welding work on lawn tractors too. No snow mobiles or ATVs sorry there. We are currently discussing Magneto-Zilla is in the works okay. We need to go thru product development and testing all at my expense.. I expect Magneto-Zilla will cost about $80.00 plus shipping. It's steep but it won't blow out like a candle folks... That's if you wanna buy one with a 1 year warranty. I want to buy your old Mags off ya. $5 bucks a pop plus your shipping costs so you guys with 10-15 of these Chinese made fishing weights call me please. Contact Dutch at YMR MOTORSPORTS in the Pocono Mountains.

Oct 23, 2014
Beaver Meadows Pa.
I have stated there is company here in Pennsylvania that still does Magnetic windings. It is Called MARTINS ELECTRIC in TAMAQUA Pa. The guy to talk with is Daryl kinda a drippy guy. He's Amish so do not curse on the phone. My company is currently working on Magneto-Zilla a double wound Mag we will be going thru development and product testing soon. We are YMR MOTORSPORTS in the Pocono's YMR stands for YEAKEL MOTOR RACING25 years of dirt and asphalt track racing developments. Guaranteed 750 horse .358 motors

oogamiser

May 18, 2014
mass
do you want/need a tester willing to put it through a real life test? like daily riding, variable conditions, temperature, humidity, etc? I will document and possibly record all the time spent running on it...