rear 20" wheel?

GoldenMotor.com

pedalurassoff

Nov 5, 2014
providence, RI
I have a Micargi Mustang built up and I come from bmx roots so I have a lot of stuff laying around. I wonder if I put a 20" wheel on the back, what size sprocket would be similar to a 40t on a 26"?

graydog8josh

Nov 23, 2012
Starkville,MS
i run 20" too, and i started working on bmx bikes for simplicity. I have a 32t and it tops out at around 35.
I was running a 20" x 1.95 cst cyclops, great tire. Im about to run a duo high street 20 x 2.4.

HotRodRob

Apr 14, 2013
Western KY
I also have a couple 20" builds and have rode bmx my whole life. I calculated that the difference in teeth between a 26" and a 20" wheel to have the same gear ratio is 10 teeth. In other words to get the same ratio as the 40t on a 26" wheel, you would need a 30t on a 20" wheel.

One of my bikes is a shift kit bike but my direct drive I used a 30t. I ended up using a 30t chain ring originally meant for the crank sprocket on shift kit bikes. I had it as a spare that I didn't need so I gave it a try. Luckily having 30 teeth and a 3 bolt sprocket adapter made my task a little easier. I covered it in painters tape and made a mark every 10 teeth. Then made some precise measurements and started drilling my holes. Luckily with only a hand drill I made all my holes spot on perfect and it turned out a lot better than I thought it would. I used a 66cc china girl with some mods and have tons of low end torque and quickly gets up to top hum. That motor only has around 20 miles on it so shes still in the break in process. Which to e isn't much different then my normal riding. I just take it slightly more easy on a new motor but not much. I use the break it in how you will use it method and have had great results. That method also helps you iron the bugs out a lot faster and get better compression then babying it.
On the bike Ive been talking about I use the Odyssy chase nighthawk reflective red stripe tires. They are 2.2" and also available in 2.4". Really nice tires for a street or track MaB. Heres a link http://www.odysseybmx.com/catalog/tires/hawk-tire-nighthawk/.
On my shifter bike I use the Maxxis ringworms (similar to the hookworms) which are also nice for road or track. Both the ringworm and the nighthawk are very sticky and because of how the tread extends on the sidewall of both tires, you can take knee-dragging turns! Here is a link to the hookworms; http://www.maxxis.com/catalog/tire-325-124-ringworm.