48 cc 4-stroke?

GoldenMotor.com

Finfan

Aug 29, 2008
Tucson, AZ USA
My main question here is: Is there such a beastie? I know the Honda 50 and the Chinese clone are only 49 cc but the law in AZ is that a motorized bike must be 48 cc or less. So I am wondering if it is possible to put a legal 4-stroke bike together. I know the cops won't know the difference but I have had worst case scenarios fall on me before so I'm wondering if it is possible to get by legally?

Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get me!

Buddy

Jul 7, 2009
Ogden, Utah
I don't know about 48cc but it's possible to have a legal bike. The R/S EHO35 is an excellent engine with surprising power for it's size. I live in the Rockies where there's pretty much nothing but hills, it will climb all but the steepest of them around here without having to pedal assist.

Finfan

Aug 29, 2008
Tucson, AZ USA
So, does anybody know what size shaft the Honda GX35 has? Would it hook up to any of the existing transfer cases? (What is the proper term for those things anyway?)

Buddy

Jul 7, 2009
Ogden, Utah
The Subaru is generally considered a better engine than the Honda. Hondas are now made in Thailand or Taiwan I think, the Subaru is made in JapanI think it has the same bolt pattern as the Honda GX50 clone so it should bolt up to almost anything. You'd have to ask the experts to be sure on the bolt pattern.

MaxPower

Jul 1, 2009
Sierra Vista AZ
Finfan. You really shouldn't worry about it....Tucson cops will mess with you over no matter what size engine you have. I've heard some bad stuff about them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Finfan

Aug 29, 2008
Tucson, AZ USA
Yes but if I am technically legal then I can beat them. I know they are a pain so I am working on giving them absolutely no leverage over me.

MotorbikeMike

Dealer
Dec 29, 2007
Sacramento
Hi Finfan, one of our dealers took the clutch shoes off of the RS35, made an adapter, and put an EZM Silent Power in a bike. We have not designed and built such an adapter yet, but his nickname is Mabman.

I am looking at making some adapters myself, that could be done in CNC.

mike