When i let my clutch out the back tire locks up and skidds

GoldenMotor.com

i like to bike

Feb 12, 2011
Colorado
hi my bike wont start even if i pedal down hill the back tire still locks up and it wont start and it sounds like the pistons are not moving i dont think i burned the moter up because i was using the right ratio 16/1 but with the clutch in i can pedal just fine.

and im sorry if somethng like this was alredy posted.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Hello and welcome to the forum. Where in Colorado are you?

You problem might be the chain jambed in the sprocket and clutch actuator cover. If the chain tension is too loose this can happen. Remove the cover, the one on the left side where the clutch cable attaches, and take a look at the chain/sprocket.

We suggest against using the advice given in the kit instructions regarding fuel/oil mix. 16:1 is just a little heavy on oil. Try a 24:1 mix then move down to 32:1 after break in.
Get back to us with what you find. We're here to help.
Tom

TNault

Feb 2, 2011
Florida
i usually run 32:1 man are u sure the engine isnt turning? make sure the chain isnt to tight.. is the motor new or have u had it for a while?

i like to bike

Feb 12, 2011
Colorado
the moter is prety new it ran for a while and the chain did not jam up because with the clutch disinggaed i can pedal fine and im in Edwards Colorado

give me vtec

Jun 19, 2009
SoCal
that happened to me on a pk 80. the needle bearings broke.

I rode the h3ll out of that engine so the damage wasn't surprising.

Vistaman73

Chat Box Junkie
Nov 29, 2009
Shawnee, Kansas
Yeah, the instructions that come with these kits are crap, all the info you need on installation and running is right here. :) Good luck on your problem, sounds like something is locked up in the engine, but not the clutch. Have you tried taking the spark plug out and doing it? That would help us figure it out easier, but sounds like something is locked or jammed. That can happen in these little engines, you might have gotten a dud. :(

Vistaman73

Chat Box Junkie
Nov 29, 2009
Shawnee, Kansas
We all posted at the same time it looks like. LOL, the fact that it is so new leads me to beleive the engine was a bad lemon. It happens...

Vistaman73

Chat Box Junkie
Nov 29, 2009
Shawnee, Kansas
It depends what is wrong, usually if they lock up, something is wrong, check the magento for jamming, then the to gear on the right side for any visual jamming. Check the teeth on it. If it's not that, then try taking the head off and look for damage, then the jug, if you can not get the jug off, it's the rings, I assume the piston is not moving. If the jug, piston, and rings are OK, then it could be the bearings inside the case, like vtec mentioned. Just search around and get a basic knowledge of the layout of the engine and start tearing down until you find the problem, if you don't want to dig that deep, you can always get a new one. Somewhere on here is a 3D animation of the engine, if someone could post a link on it, that would be great. Good Luck.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Sorry,
I misread your original post. You're right about the clutch.

How old is the engine? Is it in warranty by the seller? Don't start taking it apart until you've contacted the vendor you bought the engine from. Disassembling it might void any warranty you had.

If no warranty then take Vista's advice. Remove the cylinder head first and look for damage in the cylinder walls. Broken piston rings are not uncommon. If the top of the piston and cylinder look okay inspect the gears on the inside of the cover on the right side. If all looks normal there go ahead and remove the cylinder from the case. The piston rings will expand when the come out and will need to be carefully compressed again to put things back together.
Check with your vendor first...I hope you bought your kit from a reputable one.
Let us know what you find.
Tom

Last edited:

Vistaman73

Chat Box Junkie
Nov 29, 2009
Shawnee, Kansas
Just because it was running good before doesn't mean something was wrong, a bearing or similar could have been made wrong and it didn't break until now. Anything could have happened from what we know at this point. Just do what I said earlier, take your time, and come back with the results. Good Luck.

mmmmudd

Dec 31, 2010
california
Okay, cap'n obvious here. . .spend an evening pulling the engine off and pulling it apart. if you've been having problems with the wheel locking up it's gonna get really obvious. I recommend a fresh pack of smokes and a fresh pot of coffee. A camera for a few photos along the way wouldn't hurt a thing either.

freewheeling frank

Mar 10, 2009
ridgway colorado
i still think the chain is jammed i have seen em jammed on the rear sprocket as well, just calm down and you will figure it out remember this is a learning exp, ive been wrenching for 60 yrs and these critters still surprise me sometimes, let us know amigo, and greetings from ridgway co. where the heck is edwards?

i like to bike

Feb 12, 2011
Colorado
i took the top of the moter where thw spark plug is and saw the piston and every thing looked fine but the piston would not move so i took a hamer and hit the piston down and must of knocked some thing lose because i put it back together and rode it out of my garage.

thanks for the help vista and 2door
dnut
dance1