ISO 6 Bolt Adapter - Will this work as a sprocket adapter?

GoldenMotor.com

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
have n't seen them before ,but disk brakes need to run straight and people bolt sprokets to disk brk wheels so it makes sense to me it would work

worksmanFL

May 25, 2010
Palm Coast, FL

Andyinchville1

Manufacturer/Dealer
Dec 26, 2007
Scottsville, VA
HI,

The adapter can work as a mounting point for sprockets BUT you will have to start with a hub initially designed to use Shimano's centerlock braking system.

If you do not have the center lock hub to start with you could simply bypass the extra pieces (the ones you were asking about....i.e. the adapter pieces) and cost and go straight to a ISO standard disc brake hub.

At that point you can take a standard sprocket and drill the appropriate holes for a direct to hub mount (doing this tho will place the sprocket where the disc rotor would have been....on the furthest outside portion of the hub......The direct mount method does not result in the best chain line but it can work). (As an aside, our Super Sprockets come predrilled for direct mount to an ISO standard disc brake hub).

To "fix" the chain line issue above AND to allow the use of a disc brake rotor (if the bike is to be used with a disc brake) a Top Hat Sprocket Adapter can be used.

Hope this helps you.

Andrew

Here is an interesting link regarding the center lock system VS ISO std disc hub mount :

Disc Brake Rotors: Shimano CenterLock or ISO 6-Bolt? - FeedTheHabit.com

bobby

Dec 15, 2010
ny
wow looks like a cool idea. im also trying to mount a sprocket to my hub but i think im going with manic mike

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Here's another approach to think about. It takes some work and very careful measuring but once it's mounted this method works perfectly.
The assembly is self explanatory from the photos. I drilled out the sprocket center hole to match the shape of the disc brake rotor mount, then sandwiched the sprocket between a rubber from a rag joint, a large 'O' ring, a flat steel disc and secured everything together with the six rotor screws and three 1/4 X 28 bolts/nuts.
This thing runs perfectly true, no wobbles and cost less than $5.00.
Hogging out the center hole to mate with the hub is a time consuming project but I like the DYI approach.
Tom

Attachments

Last edited:

worksmanFL

May 25, 2010
Palm Coast, FL
Here's another approach to think about. It takes some work and very careful measuring but once it's mounted this method works perfectly.
The assembly is self explanatory from the photos. I drilled out the sprocket center hole to match the shape of the disc brake rotor mount, then sandwiched the sprocket between a rubber from a rag joint, a large 'O' ring, a flat steel disc and secured everything together with the six rotor screws and three 1/4 X 28 bolts/nuts.
This thing runs perfectly true, no wobbles and cost less than $5.00.
Hogging out the center hole to mate with the hub is a time consuming project but I like the DYI approach.
Tom
Tom, great idea! Kudos to you!

I was thinking of getting a Redline Monocog, with rear hub iso mounts, and you idea would work great!

Thank you very much for sharing with me and the fourm!

:)

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Thanks guys.
Just a word of caution to anyone who wants to try this.
The sprocket MUST be cut out to precisely fit the shape of the disc brake hub. It should fit so as to act like a splined shaft and hub. I spent the better part of a day drilling then grinding the sprocket to fit with no slop whatsoever.
The rag joint rubber acts only as a spacer between the parts.
Good luck. Post the results here if you try this method.
Tom

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Oh man great job on that 2 door!(^) Must have been fun using rotary files? I know how easy it is to slip with those and right my name all over something. [in cursing cursive lol];)

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Is the large flat washer made from,?,a ciciurlar saw blade,or?
Actually, corgi1, I made two. The first one was just a piece of 10ga sheetmetal I cut with a hole saw. To be honest, I screwed up the hole pattern on that one so I made a quickie out of a round electrical box blank cover. Some day I'll make a better looking one out of stainless and maybe polish it.
Tom

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Hey Tom, I was wondering why you didn't just bolt the sprocket to the hub flange?
That would have positioned the sprocket too far to the left for proper chain alignment.
The hub is designed to place the disc brake rotor out away from the spokes to get clearance for the caliper.
Tom

skipu

Aug 6, 2008
New jersey
HI,

The adapter can work as a mounting point for sprockets BUT you will have to start with a hub initially designed to use Shimano's centerlock braking system.

If you do not have the center lock hub to start with you could simply bypass the extra pieces (the ones you were asking about....i.e. the adapter pieces) and cost and go straight to a ISO standard disc brake hub.

At that point you can take a standard sprocket and drill the appropriate holes for a direct to hub mount (doing this tho will place the sprocket where the disc rotor would have been....on the furthest outside portion of the hub......The direct mount method does not result in the best chain line but it can work). (As an aside, our Super Sprockets come predrilled for direct mount to an ISO standard disc brake hub).

To "fix" the chain line issue above AND to allow the use of a disc brake rotor (if the bike is to be used with a disc brake) a Top Hat Sprocket Adapter can be used.

Hope this helps you.

Andrew

Here is an interesting link regarding the center lock system VS ISO std disc hub mount :

Disc Brake Rotors: Shimano CenterLock or ISO 6-Bolt? - FeedTheHabit.com
yes yes your sprocket adapter works great do you build wheels andy looking for a good wheel builder ? let me know !!