Flip-Flop Hub Sprocket Mount

GoldenMotor.com

ocscully

Jan 6, 2008
Orange County, CA
The threading on Flip Flop Hubs are right hand threads on both sides. Using the Choppers US Adapter for mounting a driven Sprocket on the left side of your rear wheel will not work as the adapter will just spin itself off under power.

ocscully

THSeaMonster

Jul 19, 2010
Richland, WA
Your right. I considered a lockring like a fixed gear would use on the left side since forces go both ways. I think welding it would be a better option though.

As far as i know, there are no products like this designed towards MB...

streetstrip80

Oct 12, 2008
Littleton, CO
That may work with the lockring, but the bolts may interfere. I think welding it to the hub would work, but I dont weld aluminum. You gave me an idea though.A bottom bracket lockring could possably be welded to a sprocket to create a thread on cog that could be locked on with a left handed lockring like a fixie. I think I will try this, I will report back with the results.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Your right. I considered a lockring like a fixed gear would use on the left side since forces go both ways. I think welding it would be a better option though.

As far as i know, there are no products like this designed towards MB...
Get a hub with left-hand threads. There are 16t-22t sprockets with built-in freewheels. There are also 4-bolt and 5-bolt hole freewheels, so sprockets can bolt onto them.

Simple as that.

xct2

THSeaMonster

Jul 19, 2010
Richland, WA
Get a hub with left-hand threads. There are 16t-22t sprockets with built-in freewheels. There are also 4-bolt and 5-bolt hole freewheels, so sprockets can bolt onto them.

Simple as that.

xct2

Well thanks, the hub idea is cool. If only i was a wheelbuilder >.<
...or had money lol

But thats all news to me, so thanks for sharing!

I'm partial to the welding idea because i would have a bit of chain alignment since it doesnt have to be threaded on all the way. And it seems as simple as your proposed plan... doesn't it?

THSeaMonster

Jul 19, 2010
Richland, WA
That may work with the lockring, but the bolts may interfere. I think welding it to the hub would work, but I dont weld aluminum. You gave me an idea though.A bottom bracket lockring could possably be welded to a sprocket to create a thread on cog that could be locked on with a left handed lockring like a fixie. I think I will try this, I will report back with the results.
Smooth sailings to you! I'm glad i can be of inspiration :)

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
That sounds like a great idea! I don't have a welder tho. Would it really be that strong?
There's always bolting a six hole disk pattern to a large flange flip/flop- you may have seen my thread.

Good luck and keep us posted.

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
I picked up a hub from Staton Inc a few days ago, it's got right handed threads on the right side, left handed threads on the left side.

Staton Inc

I actually asked a bike shop about something with that kind of threading, he said he knew what I was talking about and could order me one - he ordered me a flip flop (and built it onto a wheel), I was super uspet, but now I got the right hub, and he's going to dismantle my old wheel and rebuild my new wheel!

streetstrip80

Oct 12, 2008
Littleton, CO
A bottom bracket lockring could possably be welded to a sprocket to create a thread on cog that could be locked on with a left handed lockring like a fixie. I think I will try this, I will report back with the results.
I am still working on this experiment. I have some extra BB lockrings, but I have been busy and I only have track hubs (1 sided W. lock threads) on my junk pile. I won an ebay auction for a flipflop, so I will see what happens when it gets here. I am also interested in trying bolts direct to a high flange and have been looking for one to try. Disk hubs are becoming more common and may be the ultimate answar.

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
I picked up a hub from Staton Inc a few days ago, it's got right handed threads on the right side, left handed threads on the left side.

Staton Inc

I actually asked a bike shop about something with that kind of threading, he said he knew what I was talking about and could order me one - he ordered me a flip flop (and built it onto a wheel), I was super uspet, but now I got the right hub, and he's going to dismantle my old wheel and rebuild my new wheel!

How are You going to attatch that sprocket beacuase I have a disc mount sprocket I want to re-use ?? I was just looking at that hub on statons site. I need 3 wheels re-built this winter but Im going to try and do them Myself. Ive laced wheels before, but never had the patientce to true them.

Cheers

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
How are You going to attatch that sprocket beacuase I have a disc mount sprocket I want to re-use ?? I was just looking at that hub on statons site. I need 3 wheels re-built this winter but Im going to try and do them Myself. Ive laced wheels before, but never had the patientce to true them.

Cheers

As long as you get the lacing pattern correct and are able to roughly dish it, just take it in to a shop to have them true it - it's cheaper to have a wheel trued than it is to have it be laced/built.

I picked up this bicycle Motorized BIKE GAS ENGINE - 36 T freewheel Axle - eBay (item 170532714665 end time Dec-24-10 08:03:51 PST) a while back, and couldn't use the hub due to the gauge size. It's 8G spokeholes, and I just didn't want to go all out buying the spokes and hoop for it. But, the sprocket works fine, so I JB Welded the internals to deactivate the freewheel, and ouila!

Anyways, that's how it's gonna attach. I'm going to screw it on.

streetstrip80

Oct 12, 2008
Littleton, CO
experiment still in progress
The sprocket I used has a lot of it cut out and may not hold up, but it looks cool, its what I had around, and if it does not last I can spin it off and make another.

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
Looks good!

I've still been looking for just a threaded sprocket that I can add a lockring to since you first mentioned it.

Is your sprocket threaded to begin with? If so, where'd you pick it up?

It's looking good though - so you're going to be putting another lockring on the hub to keep it from backing out, right?

Let me know how it holds up after a couple rides!

Diver

Sep 25, 2010
Seattle
As long as you get the lacing pattern correct and are able to roughly dish it, just take it in to a shop to have them true it - it's cheaper to have a wheel trued than it is to have it be laced/built.

I picked up this bicycle Motorized BIKE GAS ENGINE - 36 T freewheel Axle - eBay (item 170532714665 end time Dec-24-10 08:03:51 PST) a while back, and couldn't use the hub due to the gauge size. It's 8G spokeholes, and I just didn't want to go all out buying the spokes and hoop for it. But, the sprocket works fine, so I JB Welded the internals to deactivate the freewheel, and ouila!

Anyways, that's how it's gonna attach. I'm going to screw it on.
Wait,wait..wait. So is this invention a DUAL freewheel hub? Can I mount the bicycle cassette or sprokets on the opposite side?
I tried emailing the seller and he/she hasn't back to me yet or ever will.

Tacomancini

Mar 18, 2010
Pittsburgh
So the staton hub is a good alternative to the grubee hd hub if we can find a threaded drive sprocket that's about the right size (36, 40, 44 etc)?

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
1st response.

Well, the ingenious part of it is that it's a dual DRIVE hub. Right hand and left handed threads allow you to accelerate from either the pedals or the motor and have the threaded sprockets tighten down.

Your standard bicycle cassette HAS to go on the right, because the freewheel is standard direction. To use a freewheel on the left you need a reverse (southpaw) freewheeled sprocket.

I don't personally like this seller - I've only ever talked to him through the eBay resolution center, and from what I could gather he didn't know how to speak English well at all. Anyways, the one he's selling is like an 8 gauge or so spoke holed hub, so unless you have 8G spokes and an 8G rim, get a hold of the guys out at Staton.

2nd response.

Exactly! That's why I'm liking what streetstrip did by fabbing up his own threaded sprocket with a lock ring.

I ordered the eBay one, assuming it'd be the standard 14G, but kept it for the freewheel sprocket, which I JB Welded the internals of and now - it's just a threaded flange with a bolt on sprocket. Granted, I'm still looking for something a bit more proper...

streetstrip80

Oct 12, 2008
Littleton, CO
I almost bought that BGF setup. Glad I found out about it being 8G before spending $50 (including a pull start). Having a freewheel on the motor side may not be such a bad idea though. It would probably increase your milage (not that these things are gas guzzlers)

Just to clarify what I did, I welded a bottom bracket lock ring to a one piece chainring (because the bb lockring has the same threads as a freewheel/cog). This is mounted on the fixed gear side of a flip flop hub, so it also has a lefthand threaded lockring over it.

This thing is truer than any spoke mounted sprocket I have had. I have put about 30 miles on it, and it is still straight and the chain tension feels the same as when I set it.

We finally got some snow here, and 36 teeth does not work well in snow so this sprocket may be down for a while. I may weld up a 50 tooth I have since I now have a system that allows quick easy swaps.

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
Wow - consider yourself lucky, I bought mine last summer from BGF. After shipping it was 50 without a pullstart.

And you just said it yourself.

1. Easy sprocket swaps.

2. It's going to be TRUED to the wheel.

There's the stock way, and then there's the right way.

Threaded drive sprockets are the right way to do these things.

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
Just to clarify what I did, I welded a bottom bracket lock ring to a one piece chainring (because the bb lockring has the same threads as a freewheel/cog). This is mounted on the fixed gear side of a flip flop hub, so it also has a lefthand threaded lockring over it.
Hey - forgot to ask, how'd you get the threads to line up on that weld?

Did you thread them both up to a hub and then weld it?

This is seeming like the method I'm going to have to go, and I'm not a welder, but my buddy has a shop he can do it in for me.

I'm thinking about doing 2 lock rings, just for added strength, but the challenge is going to be finding the parts in left handed threads...