Wild Idea

GoldenMotor.com

lostinidaho

Apr 12, 2010
idaho
I don't know really where to post this.

I love old cars. I mean old, upto to about 1930. To me it is just amazing how they solved the issuse of an automobile with the technology of the day. Today we just throw a computer chip at it.

The first picture below is a cyclecar. They are some of the oldest cars which resemble a modern car. Most were single seaters. Most ran on small 2 or 4 stroke engines. They were a cheap car if compared to the larger cars of the day (stutz, packards etc). As you can tell, it didn't take people long before they began to race each other. The are maybe the ultimate in microcars. Most had a wheel base of about 72 inchesThey are rare and expensive. I would love to have. Way out of my price range

The next picture is a velocar or velomobile. It is a pedal car for adults. The were produced in Engalnd and France uptill the 1950's. Many had small engines on them to climb hills. Modern velocars have very streamlined bodies.

It would be fun to make a replica of a cyclecar. However you could never drive it. Insurace, saftey laws.

Has anybody every built or thought of building a recumbent bike with a body (with engine). I would want a vintage looking body.

What is your thoughts

Attachments

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
A reporter once asked Richard Petty if he new when the first car race took place. His answer was "The day the second car was finished."
As for legality, most states treat 3 wheelers the same as 2 wheelers.
The search for bodywork could be difficult. Fenders and front end from a Lotus Super Seven replica kit might be adapted to your trike. There are some cheap kit car bodies for sale on ebay motors that were never installed.

dash

May 30, 2010
phoenix
do you have any ideas for making the body,i built that trike so i could do what you want to do but went way over budget on the trike itself and lost interest

lostinidaho

Apr 12, 2010
idaho
I am so early in the process that is more of a dream than a idea or a project.

From my car experience I would start with a typical ladder frame. That would make body attacment easy. But I would think that would make it very heavy. Although I have seen a plywood framed go kart and it was suprisingly light.

I have looked at exsisting recment bikes like the tadpole trike. But the front wheels need to be further out for the long hooded race car look.

ferball

Apr 8, 2010
NH
I was thinking a tadpole with some sort of weather proof shroud/cockpit would be awesome then I could motorbike to work year round, because with an enclosed cockpit type idea, you could even add heat for the winter. I can picture it in my mind, but I totally lack the resources right now to even try to attempt it.

dash

May 30, 2010
phoenix
check out atomic zombie the plans are like 16 bucks and theirs lots of help on their forums, i promise you this, you will have fun building it and when your done you will be able to build any bike

Attachments

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Those ideas aren't so wild. I've built some crazy things in the past. I have two of them left. One is a plywood Jeep on a heavily modified garden tractor chassis and front engine with belt drive forward and reverse. The other is a pedal car my kids and grandkids grew up with. Just a metal strap frame with bicycle parts to propel it. Later I added a retractable seatbelt and differential from a three wheeler. The chain is off to re-gear for another youngster. I've always planned to put a small hood on the front to make it appear more like a car. Check out online the "Maytag Racer" and "Briggs and Stratton Red Bug".