I've been looking at Moped Utubes

GoldenMotor.com

Wickedest1

Oct 31, 2012
connecticut
Biknut, man that video was great...made me real nostalgic...i was 9 years old living in the boondys and came across a dumpster that was full of stuff...i dug for an hour, found a pile of mopeds...took a tomos silver bullet and a honda something...the tomos was beyond my fixing and the honda solely needed a fuel filter and I rode her for 8 years and gave her a viking funeral...still fondly remember my days of riding...even rode her to my prom with my girl on the back...ahh good ole days...

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
I've been trying to get a ride somewhere mellow where its safe for happy times to cruise and so far not much interest to travel to other areas to ride has been expressed up here. I can understand, getting rallies together is difficult, people gotta work to live and conflicts are inevitable.

Biknut, you should try to organize a rally in TX, maybe it will spread when people see how much fun it is.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I've been trying to get a ride somewhere mellow where its safe for happy times to cruise and so far not much interest to travel to other areas to ride has been expressed up here. I can understand, getting rallies together is difficult, people gotta work to live and conflicts are inevitable.

Biknut, you should try to organize a rally in TX, maybe it will spread when people see how much fun it is.
I'd love to get a rally together, but right now there's just not enough numbers to make it worthwhile. I don't think North Texas is going to be the right place to do it either. It's going to need to be near Austin, or San Antonio. I'd load my bike in the van to head to a motor bicycle rally in a heart beat.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I been watching so many moped videos guess what? I went crazy and I bought a moped from Pirate Cycle. It's on my lift right now in a couple hundred pieces.

Otto

Nov 23, 2012
Forney, TX
I been watching so many moped videos guess what? I went crazy and I bought a moped from Pirate Cycle. It's on my lift right now in a couple hundred pieces.

I've been considering getting one as well. What are the requirements with Texas motor vehicles? Do they need to be registered, insured, etc.?

Thanks,

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Mopeds are basically considered the same as motorcycles in Texas, so you need license, insurance, registration, the whole nine yards.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I was just looking over the rules on the DPS site for mopeds. Appearently Texas offers a restriction K motorcycle license for mopeds that allows moped riders to get a moped only license without taking a driving test.

That could be significant because it would mean you wouldn't need to take the DPS motorcycles riders course. All you'd need to do is go to the DPS office and take a written test.

The catch is the bike has to be less than 50cc, no more than 30 mph, and no gears you have to shift.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I've noticed there's a lot of animosity between motor bicycle riders, and so called moped riders. Not just these two groups either, and it's always been this way. Harley riders, made fun of Indian riders. 4 stroke riders made fun of 2 stroke riders. Everyone made fun of japanese cruisers. Then there's lowly scooters that everyone makes fun of. Harley riders even make fun of Sportster riders. Sportster's are girls bikes. 550 lb girl bikes lol.

I've noticed more acceptance of japanese cruisers among Harley riders, especially the last 15 years or so. Scooters are becoming very popular. I think the next step is moped riders are going to have to accept motor bicycles.

I've noticed in the owners manual of my new Tomos, it's referred to as a motor bicycle 15 times. It's referred to as a moped, 10 times, and it's referred to as a motorcycle 2 times.

Otto

Nov 23, 2012
Forney, TX
I don't understand the descriptions of some of these motor vehicles. When I was a kid in the 50's, a "moped" was an ultra-light motorcycle with pedals. Usually stamped steel components with stronger wheels and hubs than a regular bicycle of the day, and larger diameter tires. The next classification was "motor scooter", which usually was a step-through type (Allstate/Cushman/Vespa/Lambretta/etc.), or leg over, (Cushman Eagle/Mustang) depending on the style with small diameter tires.

Why are these new models called mopeds? Can you pedal them without engine power? I wouldn't think they would classify as a moped if you can't.

Just some thoughts from an old guy.

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay

So whatt'd you get Biknut? Please tell me you didn't get that ugly revival thing!

People selling scooters from China started using the label moped for scooters, in some states one can be used under the moped definition, in CA it needs pedals. Its like the 80cc happy time, it doesn't exist, lousy label used for marketing purposes.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Why are these new models called mopeds? Can you pedal them without engine power? I wouldn't think they would classify as a moped if you can't.

Just some thoughts from an old guy.
So whatt'd you get Biknut? Please tell me you didn't get that ugly revival thing!
An artist is reluctant to show his canvas until it's finished.

I'm a traditionalist, so for me a moped has to have 3 things. Working pedals, a step through frame, and a 2 stroke motor. Anything else is just a gay a*s little motorcycle lol.

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay

That's what you were talking about earlier with the general acceptance of other types of bike.

Everybody has their own view of what their optimum motorcycle is. I personally don't have any interest in the motorcycles that place style over engineering, such as those that strictly follow dogmatic historical design, for the sake of being "classic" at the expense of the actual riding experience. I dunno about you, but I can't remember the last time I went on a ride and stared at the motorbike between my legs the whole time as the world rushed past me! :p

I think that a top tank to brace yourself to the bike with versus a step through offers an increased amount of control. Mopeds have small wheels and ride low so most people don't have a hard time sliding over the back versus the front. I don't remember ever approaching a bike and going for swinging a foot over the front. On scooters the step through classifies it with floorboards for legality, on a moped, well, um.

That's my 2 cents I'll exit stage left now, because I know how it goes...

Last edited:

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Where I am motored bikes are considered mopeds for registration purposes. I could really care less moped, scooter, motored bicycles...as long as it has two wheels and needs tinkering it's good to me. Congrats on the purchase of your moped Bikenut. I have been thinking of a moped after my panther and stingray trike are done.

Last edited:

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay

au contraire

To me the body shapes that come from adaption to mother nature's physics are bautiful, its natural evolution.

Good luck with the Tomos, they sound like a good buy from the review vid I've seen.

Last edited: