Many pics from a 2010 UK swapmeet

GoldenMotor.com

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
Cool swap meet. My brother has been cruising the UK Ebay finding interesting bikes. Seems like girder forks are pretty common over there, as well as cool old small displacement motorcycles.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
..if someone here can get 1 good idea from the pics... :)

like Pat said, vmb... they seem to run springers a lot.. or ran many different styles than we are used to, in the past.

That UK site led me to looking at the Garelli Mosquito on youtube, I think they call it a 38A motor... neat little motor and friction drive setup! Then I found one where a guy was heating up a plate on the side of the cyl head with a propane torch... for a minute or so, it seemed! maybe it was a diesel???
All the dialogue was Deutsch, and maybe the vid was from Holland?
anyhow, it said Lohrmann Fahrrad Hilfsmotor.
None of the ones I saw were power-house screamers or even fast at all... but I don't spend much time watching the 'tuning' vids, as they call it.

That LFH motorbike had a really interesting springer on it... a girder, but the mounts were positioned differently than we are accustomed to seeing on the Indian type springers.

Best
rc

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
Looks like a good event. Would be worth the flight if it was a two day event.
Thanks for posting the photos, especialy the ones with prices.

happyvalley

Jul 24, 2008
upper Pioneer Valley
Neat page and I wish! Be great to prowl around there.

I get more useful, real people, inspiration from the history of MABs in Europe. The Euros have long been able to keep things separate with a rich history in bicycles, motor assisted bicycles, mopeds and motorcycles. The Cyclemasters, Ducati's, La Cylette, and VeloSolexes among many others were kept as motor assist bicycles for almost a hundred years without blurring the lines or causing the authorities to fret much. I was reading recently the the French Postal Service once had a fleet of a thousand Velosolexes for local route delivery. They recognized the real value in that appropriate technology: lightweight, navigable on narrow lanes, cost effective, reliable and able to assist human productivity.

Here's another site, from the UK, with one man's love affair collecting MABs or as he calls it "low power bicycle attachments".

www.Under50.cc

PeugLaCyclette.jpg