OK all you shifter fans out there....

GoldenMotor.com

mdlee1958

Feb 22, 2009
Fort Collins, Colorado
Sorry, I've been real lax about posting pics of my builds (yes, this is #5). I really had no intentions of building another one but last November a friend landed a Motor Morini M-01 in my lap and said "Here lets see you do something with this.". So, here it is. Was going to re-paint the frame but got so side tracked during the build that half way thru I just said screw it, it's going to be named "Brutale" anyway so why not look brutal too....LOL. The engine is a Motor Morini M-01 from a Negrini moped (single speed, but as I understand it the M-01's have tougher trannies than the M-1 and the M-02's because they are single speed) with stock Dellorto SHA 14-12 carb.. The rear hub is a Sturmey Archer Xrd-8 with the drum brake. Front disc brake. Suntour front suspension fork. The tires are X-mas from my oldest son who feels that one day I really kill myself on these bikes, they are Kenda Flames 3", as you can see I had to extend the rear dropouts so they would fit in the frame. The fenders are hand made 3 piece aluminum. The shifter jackshaft and mount are hand made out of 12g plate and a Dremel, bearings shaft and sprocket are from That's Dax (thanks for the parts Duane). The tank is from older projects that I was working/abandoning are made out of sch40 PVC pipe (yes, PVC pipe can be used as a gas tank, this one is 3 yrs old and has no problem with fuel.). I have only done a short ride on it so far ( 1mi or less) as there is still snow and ice on the streets here in Ft Collins, but promises to be very interesting as it had no problem holding 20-25 mph in 2nd gear. She may be a dog off the line but promises to be a good over the road long distance cruiser.

Attachments

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
I like everything about it. There will be a lot of load on that bicycle chain if you really get on it!

mdlee1958

Feb 22, 2009
Fort Collins, Colorado
Thanks,I'm currently chasing Italian electrical ghosts. Two days after I got it up and running the condenser and/or one of the internal coils went. I am at the point of bagging the points and condenser system all together and putting a cdi conversion kit in it. But am finding on the moped forums that some of the conversion kits on the market are not all that reliable and considering that I am building this one to be a long distance cruiser I reallllllly would like a little reliability built in.

earl.k

Jan 19, 2011
PA! USA
nice build, tight fit.lol id also like to know how the hub holds up. i was looking into a 8 speed sturmy archer. they look tough..

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
Brought a tear to my eye. Altogether just such a super nice build, I really like the red paint too, sporty! :D