Fail-safe skids for a trike

GoldenMotor.com

gstrope

Feb 19, 2009
texas
I am building a trike for a young adult living on a gravel road. I am concered if the front axle were to break it could cause a tip over. I decide to put on fail-safe skids to allow the frame to drop only one inch if the axle breaks. This trike is designed to go 10 to 12 mph. Here are some pictures.

Attachments

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Very interesting design. I'm assuming it is pedal driven, or will it be powered? I see what looks like a B-B out front. Steerable front wheels? Very nice. The skid idea is a good safety feature. Good work. Keep us posted on this build, please. I'd like to see the finished project and its intended rider together.
Tom

gstrope

Feb 19, 2009
texas
Very interesting design. I'm assuming it is pedal driven, or will it be powered? I see what looks like a B-B out front. Steerable front wheels? Very nice. The skid idea is a good safety feature. Good work. Keep us posted on this build, please. I'd like to see the finished project and its intended rider together.
Tom
You can see more under the thread "Custom Recumbent Trike". Go to the last page. The deign has changed quite a bit.