Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Tandems, Trikes and Recumbent Bicycles

Motorized Tandems, Trikes and Recumbent Bicycles Trikes (tricycle) and recumbent bicycles can give the ultimate in comfort for cruising on long trips or just around town. Ad an engine and they will really turn some heads.

Old 01-10-2017, 02:56 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: Indian Tadpole

Hi Silverbear,

Today it's 32F with a wind that would cut the coat off a poor mans back. Latest tool flyer came from our version of Harbour Freight so I'm off to make some purchases. Getting things gathered up for Bike Camp and planning out some fabrication to bring with me and gathering up the needed materials.

Before we know it sparks will be flying amongst the birch trees and creative staring will be honed to a fine art..

Steve.
Old 01-10-2017, 03:04 PM

Thank's Rick. Feels good to know that what should be the final hurdle has been leaped and from now on it's mostly finishing work. Garage is heated so when the time comes I'll turn it on and finish everything off.

Weather improves here the end of March usually. I'll be ready for it.

Steve.
Old 01-10-2017, 07:08 PM

Really good news Steve. I'm doing my best not to take this bike to the shop till I can ride it there and back...they get more done when I'm not tinkering and I'm really enjoying working mostly with common hand tools on this build...like back when that's all I had to work with and the salvage yard. Make do and get 'er done, fun if your not ina hurry. Spring will be here soon since time flies by exponentially as we advance in age...too bad that extreme pain is the only thing that seems to slow the clock. Stock up on the sales as you dream up some mischief. rick C.
Old 01-11-2017, 02:52 PM

I can see the fellas in the shop gravitating to the bike to see it and constantly stopping by to see how it's progressing. I do like looking at all the equipment and tools available but most of the purchases I make are supplies and the occasional tool that is half price and sturdy enough to last for the few times I'll use it. Having spent most of my working career using hand tools to repair furniture that was made with basic hand tools it just comes naturally.Just so long as the tool makes the job doable quickly or possible then I'm in.

My sister in law is in charge of the pre school at our local rec center. My brother repairs endless boxes of broken toys and one that was going to be thrown out because repairs would leave them open to law suites if repaired and there were injuries was a large Radio Flyer where the front axle had broken loose. Front axle was 1/2" tubing held in place with two tads punched out of the steering mechanism and spot welded to the axle.

I welded it back on when I did the bike. The wheels were junk, as is the whole wagon, so I decided to buy real wheels for it. Harbour Freight had the wheels for $6. Cheapest I can find locally is $22 then the local tool store flyer comes and they are on sale for $11 so I bought them and my almost 4 year old grand niece can pull the wagon easily.

The rest as I said is supplies for future builds and for Bike Camp because it's easier for me to build them here over the winter. I'll have photos soon of what I'm doing because we all know if there aren't photos it didn't happen.

Steve.
Old 01-11-2017, 04:12 PM

So your not going to put a 6hp engine in the wagon, like the one I posted somewhere here long ago from one of my Burning Man visits. Besides the engine in the back there were two people in it. One driving, the other holding 30 pounds of cubed ice.

Think how may kids could ride in one like that!
Old 01-11-2017, 09:31 PM

M.T., I tried brother, I really tried but they turned on me like a pack of mad dogs. I even went the electric route and pointed out that in 15 years she would be darned near of legal age {19 here} and I'd make the bits needed to make it into a bar stool racer since I doubt I'll be here to see that happen.

It was a no go and now they are watching me like a hawk. I go out into the garage and they follow me. Ya just can't soar like an Eagle when you surrounded by Turkeys.

Steve.
Old 01-12-2017, 10:51 PM

Started grinding the welds into shape after I took the photos. They're going fairly quickly and smoothly. I messed up the ends of the seat stays and had to cut them off and weld new ones on. There is a piece of round rod inside the tubing that was rosette welded in place before I welded the two pieces together.

Everything worked out and there is room for the sprocket and chain now.

I have to get the sprocket part of jack shaft worked out and over to the machinist in the next few days.

Steve.

http://i866.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps9a4tnixt.jpg

Last edited by fasteddy; 01-12-2017 at 11:00 PM.
Old 01-13-2017, 10:09 AM

AWESOME! Getting there, that should work out good. Looks like a lot of clearance now.............Curt
Old 01-13-2017, 03:18 PM

Hi Curt,

It does clear the sprocket and chain nicely now. Wasn't too happy when I fouled up the bottom of the seat stays but it is to late to go back.

Onward.

Steve.
Old 01-14-2017, 09:25 AM

Glad to see such good progress Steve. I understand the battles you face dealing just with weather and health concerns, so it's a big deal when such an important structural element is rendered to the point of cleanup. You've probably answered this already, but what is the current dimensions on width for the stays at axle plates and at upper seat stays?
This tri car build to many of us holds great significance as a legacy build which encouages us on our own chosen projects at whatever level of difficulty those fabrications represent. Thank you for the vision to see the extraordinary vintage Indian tricar design as worthy of a tribute replication and the skill and dedication to carry it forward to date. With goal in sight I support your persistence in its completion. Your Indian tricar will be a thing of beauty and a joy for all who view it! Rick C.