WC1 to NE type Rat Bike (El Raton)

GoldenMotor.com

MotorbikeMike

Dealer
Dec 29, 2007
Sacramento
Hi all, well it's been quite a while since I've been on this site. I decided to build a "Rat Bike" out of some of the parts I have in the yard.
Goal: good acceleration, good top speed, a platform for the new Pacesetter Products Clutch, and the Pacesetter Products High Compression Cylinder Head.
This bike will need to haul my 325lbs + self respectfully, being competitive with stock or even warmed up NE's.
The Start; a 2002 Cruiser WC1 class bike. 26 inch wheels and fenders, Chrome tank, fenders, license holder, chainguard, and speedo. Frame is black, name ground off of the battery box, NE style chrome belt guard, small manifold and pipe.
I will change a lot.
Tires are rotten, chrome festooned with rust, early wc1 style engine, rotten grips, a 26 inch bike, I actually bought this for the parts it represented. I'm looking forward to the "Rat Bike" this will become

Mike

Attachments

greaser_monkey_87

Mar 30, 2014
USA
If you want to get the rust off the chrome, which if you don't then just ignore me but if you do. Take some aluminum foil and dip it in hot water or vinegar and scrub the crap out of it. It won't scratch the chrome, and it will take rust right off. I did this recently and it works like a charm.

atombikes

Feb 14, 2010
Northern VA
You don't even need the water or vinegar...straight balled up aluminum foil will de-rust chrome. The aluminum is softer than the chrome so no scratches. I'm doing this now with a used wheel I bought last weekend; I also did it on all the chrome parts on my Taiwan Whizzer (which of course had rusted chrome on it).

The exhaust pipe I thought was rusted beyond the point of being able to bring it back to presentable condition, but the aluminum foil did the trick.

MotorbikeMike

Dealer
Dec 29, 2007
Sacramento
I appreciate the ideas about the chrome, and when I do want stuff to look good I'll be remembering, and possibly consider a "rub off" seeing which was easiest!

I've done a bunch of work on "El Raton" but do not have pics handy. I also have a buddy coming over on Saturdays, and we are building my 1952 B4 Schwinn in Barn Bike style with 1947 H motor as power. More on that in new thread with Pics.

Mike