securing sprocket hub adapter

GoldenMotor.com

sboricic123

Apr 15, 2013
Bailieboro, Ontario
I've purchased a new rim and waiting for the sprocket hub adapter to arrive. Is there other options beside a shim stock that I can use to make sure the adapter won't slip? Like piece of a tin can, contact cement, etc?

allen standley

Oct 22, 2011
Bangor, Maine
Properly sized adapter should not need any shim. When installing be sure to tighten from side to side so as you have equal space where the two halves come together on the hub. I've used many 2 piece adapters and never had slippage except for this one time on a multispeed wheel and it was due to fault of my own. Just be sure to check for tightness after a short ride. This is a result of NOT re-checking...
http://motorbicycling.com/album.php?albumid=1792&pictureid=10944

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I concur!! If you ordered the correct size hub adapter?, it shouldn't slip.

When you install it, torque the main bolts as tight as you can (& don't use loctite)... Only use loctite on the bolts that hold the sprocket to the adapter. ;)

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Ditto: Shimming should not be necessary if you order the correct adapter. Those who have slippage either got the wrong size or haven't tightened the adapter sufficiently.

A few years ago there was a hub that came on certain Schwinn bikes that would not accept an adapter. We called them 'Three Mile Island' hubs because of their parabolic shape. If you have one of those you're out of luck. You'll have to use the 'Rag Joint'.

Tom

sboricic123

Apr 15, 2013
Bailieboro, Ontario
Well I finaly received my hub adaptor yesterday. But the idiots at Gasbike sent me the wrong size that I had ordered. Now I'm just waiting for a reply email back to find out how to return it. They mentioned I could when I was sending emails to find out about my order. Grrrrr!

sboricic123

Apr 15, 2013
Bailieboro, Ontario
I'll wait a until tomorrow and if I get a reply email back by then, I'll send them another. Along with pictures of while measuring the hub and adpter with a digital caliper. I'll call Thursday if I haven't received anything back.

allen standley

Oct 22, 2011
Bangor, Maine
Good plan. sorry a dissapointment right off the bat for you. See it through. you will be pleased when it all comes together. Plenty of time before comfortable riding season for you to get this straightened out. Keep us posted.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
Well I finaly received my hub adaptor yesterday. But the idiots at Gasbike sent me the wrong size that I had ordered. Now I'm just waiting for a reply email back to find out how to return it. They mentioned I could when I was sending emails to find out about my order. Grrrrr!
What size did you order and get?

Tighten the 2 clamp bolts using a cheater pipe on the allen wrench so you can get 20' lbs.

sboricic123

Apr 15, 2013
Bailieboro, Ontario
Well I received an email back from Gasbike on Wednesday and they asked for pictures of the adapter. So I sent pics of it while measuring with my digital caliper and a pic of my hub. I didn't hear back from them since. So today (Friday), I called and spoke to the gent I was dealing with by email. He said they will be sending me the correct size and have it ready. I asked him what I'm to do with the wrong size I received. He said, "Hold on to it for now and we may send labels with the correct shipment so it can be returned."
I keep you posted when I get the correct size.

sboricic123

Apr 15, 2013
Bailieboro, Ontario
I received the correct size adapter today from GasBike and put it on. I loc-tite the bolts holding on the sprocket but didn't do the bolts holding the adapter as recommended. I took it for a quick rip and quite happy with it so far. I would have went for a longer ride but I lost power due to a carb leak.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I hope you didn't use 'red' Loctite. If so good luck ever getting it off if you need to.

No place for red thread locking compound on motorized bicycles. Blue is all you'll ever need and it can be removed if needed. Red will require heat in excess of what the hub and adapter can take.

Tom