Chain Tension, any good?

GoldenMotor.com

TheWizardVillage

Jul 29, 2015
Tennessee
After looking over the thread it looks to be the same seller.

How well does this tensioner work?

Has anyone had any problems with it?

Also does anyone have a under $20 non-stock tensioner that works well?

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I really dislike those spring loaded chain tensioners!
When you let off the throttle, the upper part of the chain has no tension & can cause lots of problems! :(

I know that most people can't weld, but welding is the best way to mount a chain tensioner. ;)

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I really dislike those spring loaded chain tensioners!
When you let off the throttle, the upper part of the chain has no tension & can cause lots of problems! :(

I know that most people can't weld, but welding is the best way to mount a chain tensioner. ;)
Ditto:

Spring tensioners allow slack when you least need or want it. They are band-aids for a chain that is either not aligned correctly with the sprockets or not tensioned right.
Find another solution.

Tom

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Bridging the seat and chain stays with the tensioner bracket is the best way. Ideally the bracket should be welded to the frame but if mounted securely with clamps and bolts it is still far superior to the kit bracket that simply clamps to the chain stay. The kit bracket is notorious for loosening and allowing the tensioner to rotate inward, into the spokes. I don't need to elaborate on what happens then.

The 'arch' type bracket is a very good idea if you must use a tensioner. However, they still must be set up to align with the chain. That might require a little bend or twist to get the tensioner wheel to ride centered on the chain and not pull it to either side.

Tom

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
I have the tensioner you linked to in your first op post. http://www.ebay.com/itm/49-66-80cc-...ensioner-Spring-Loaded-Michigan-/181196082385
I would maybe prefer to have none but at least this one isn't going to end up in your spokes. I have one on my bike and mine has been trouble free and works pretty smooth.

I bought his first 'sold' tensioner --- it's been over 2 years and 800ish miles with zero issues.

(Maybe everything else is 'OK'...... However, it really quietened the chain action.)

Riverdales27

Mar 20, 2015
USA
I use the arch tensioner + stock tensioner so the roller wheel aligns. Just bought it a week or so ago. Two weeks or so ago I bought the spring loaded one that attaches the stock tensioner but as others mentioned here when starting the engine the chain gets depressed. The engine mounted tensioner is what I wanted, some old youtuber I'm subscribed to has it on his bike and seems to work well for him. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5zd-RWlHpE

http://i.imgur.com/uF8AbJC.jpg

leo

Jul 20, 2015
southern wv
i still use a tensioner. it's not that i can't get the tension and alignment right, it's just that i need to keep the chain lifted because my lower rear forks have an inward curve where the chain passes through.
on the bright side, they are not quite round either, so the factory clamp locks on pretty well.
i have almost 1000 miles on it so far. i may try one of the arch mounts just to see if i like it better.