mini pocket bike transmission running in reverse.

GoldenMotor.com

Bohemian_Lady

Feb 7, 2013
Hawaii
Okay so a while back I bought a mini pocket bike transmission that came recommended by a couple of people. I bought it for my Honda GX 35, I finally got it mounted and ready to go. As promised it went right on no fuss, that should have been my first clue. It works no qualms there, but the tire runs in revers. Since I don't know of a way to ride the bike in reverse I either need a different gear box or a way to make this work.

I'll post a picture of the set up tomorrow, its already too dark for pictures. I would be open to any suggestions that don't involve a $200 CVT transmission.

Last edited:

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Yup... Those transmissions will reverse the direction of the engine's output, they are nice tho because of the 5:1 reduction but you usually need to re mount your engine so it's turned around so the crank turns opposite of the wheels.

Bohemian_Lady

Feb 7, 2013
Hawaii
Yeah that's what I'm going to try tomorrow. Gonna see if I can mount the 46 tooth sprocket under the bike gears...I've got loads of room between the spokes and the drive gears so that shouldn't be a problem... Its the derailleur I'm worried about. Hoping there's enough clearance that the 415 chain wont hit it.

Never did get around to pictures...

Bohemian_Lady

Feb 7, 2013
Hawaii
So what you're saying is an internally geared hub will get everything out of the way enough that I can mount the sprocket for the 415 chain on the same side. What about tire compatibility? I have a nice heavy duty tire already, I would have to rebuild my tire to fit the internal hub wouldn't I?

Bohemian_Lady

Feb 7, 2013
Hawaii
Just a little update. I did get the 46 tooth sprocket mounted behind the bike gears, chain tension is an issue. When she's tight its good, but once the chain starts to loosen I have to be careful with acceleration, deceleration and bumps otherwise the chain comes off the big sprocket. I'm guessing I'm just going to need a tensioner in the right place.