Another Noob with head stud questions.

GoldenMotor.com
Aug 26, 2015
Overgaard AZ
Mods, feel free to move. I was looking at the replacement head studs on Sick Bike Parts, and they look an awful lot like 8mm allthread. I believe my ACE carries that in grade 8. Any reason why that can't be used? If they don't have the "exact" length I could just go longer, astetics my eye, that's what acorn caps are for. Acorn caps are also typically hollow inside, and they don't care if you clip them over grade 8s for Chinese scrap, my ACE also has them in at least four finishes, plain, chrome, black, and brass, they May have brushed as well. And come to think of it I could use extra extra long 8mm bolts, and run a nut all the way up before I put them in. Yes the jug would be loose every time I pulled the head, but isn't it already. The studs just keep the jug from wandering away once the head is In your hand.

Chaz

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver, British Columbia
No reason not to. If the threads match that's all you need. If you get the extra long bolts and cut the heads off at your desired length you can use the nuts nuts you mentioned just like the stock set up. If you get your length right you can still use the stock acorns on top for dressing.

Aug 26, 2015
Overgaard AZ
Thanks chaz I'll pick some up tomorrow. And I ment that Hillman manufactures acorn caps that clip onto regular nuts, makes 'm pretty, come in all kinds of finishes.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Just be sure the threads in the case match the threaded rod. Some engines have fine threads in the case, 8mm X 1 as opposed to 8mm X 1.25. Compare your old stud, the case end, to the allthread (threaded rod) you plan to use.

This isn't a common issue but I've seen enough engines with fine threads in the case to feel a warning is in order.

Tom

Aug 26, 2015
Overgaard AZ
Catch Phrase. Thanks, tom, I'll bear that in mind. I put it off for the time being because a friend just have me an angle fire head, and I wanted to mill it down some.
With the issues the bike is giving I'm going to wait till o get it running smoother first. I may use it on my '61 Schwinn American build. I've taken .007" off, will that be enough to notice? I have the head gasket that was under it too and plan on shaving it and the jug down a little too, rather than take a whole bunch if material off the head. About how many thousandths should I remove all together?