Centrifugal Clutch help. I already did a serach with no help

GoldenMotor.com

cowboy1948

Nov 1, 2014
SIMI VALLEY CA.
I my engine on all set, carb, etc. I put the clutch cover on then installed the centrifugal clutch just like instructions and videos show. Thought to my self. Before I install the chain I'll start it up to see what the centrifugal clutch would work. Started right up with a pull start. But cent clutch was engaged and turn clutch and drive sprocket. I tuned it down to just where the engine would idle and not kill it. Cent clutch still engages and turns drive sprocket. What am I doing wrong. Or what is the fix. Remember, there is no clutch cable attacked.
Cause the centrifugal clutch is suppose to work like an automatic clutch? I know it's all together right. Help please. Thanks.

:-|| .flg.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
The one I had would engage just barely above idle. I got it to engage slightly higher by drilling 3 5/16" holes in each weight. This did require disassembly, removing each weiight, then reassembly so I don't recommend this unless you got all the right tooling, that spring that goes around and holds the 3 weights down is NOT easy to get back in place.
Another thing I might add was that after drilling 9 holes it only raised the engagement speed up by about 500 rpm at best.

Other issues I had with my centrifugal clutch were...
Holes in adapter plate didn't match up with engine and had to elongate
Cover was touching clutch bell, had to shim cover
Clutch shaft fit way too tight on one way bearing, had to shave off about .004" of the shaft in my lathe and re polish the shaft.
Clutch gear is just pressed onto the bell and separated. Had to braze the gear back onto the bell.

When I had it working before the gear separated from the clutch bell it worked great and I was still able to hit 40mph with it installed as well as having bump start capability thanks to the one way bearing working like it's supposed to. I ended up converting that bike back to manual clutch and it gained 2mph by doing so, so this clutch does take a little from the available power to the rear wheel, but not much.
I would have kept it on there if it didn't break and after I brazed the gear back onto the bell I just didn't trust it not to break again. I think the biggest deciding factor to not use it tho was that it had such a low engagement speed and no easy way to set it to engage at a higher rpm. This thing would have been really nice if it engaged at 2000 to 2500 rpm instead of just around 1500 rpm after I lightened it.

cowboy1948

Nov 1, 2014
SIMI VALLEY CA.
you guys were right. put the chain on nice and net. and no spin. I took a old cent clutch apart that a guy gave awhile back. did nt want to use it. did nt look in good shape. right about those springs. plus those 4 little bearings that's in there. hey. thinks for the help guys. ride safe and have fun. cvlt1