More Maytag Mayhem

GoldenMotor.com

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
"I hope to wind up with a leisurely putt-putt that is so radically different, that I stand back and think where in the dang heck did this come from!"

That is such a cool feeling and usually the best works. When your "Muse" comes up with stuff.

Fascinating build and really enjoying watching it unfold,CB.

I was telling the wife about your build and using our push, vert shaft, mower to illustrate. She looked me dead in the eye and said "No, no, no!" lol.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Trust me, no matter what you end up doing with this build it will be radically different. That's what makes it so interesting and engaging... it is different. I realize it is your second Maytag build, but the drive line challenges are different and keep you on your toes figuring your way along. Lot's of creative staring and daydreaming with this one, I imagine. For me that is both the frustration and the fun.

Sitting where I am in the peanut gallery is fun for me to watch this build unfold as you share your thought process and every now and then look up to the peanut gallery and ask for our opinions. So we get to be part of both the right turns and the wrong turns, the stops and the starting over again. And if a brain fart happens now and then, well that's how it is with a bunch of onlookers eating peanuts.

I think I understand and can relate to something in common with you, sir. Not talent or knowledge for sure, as mine will fit in the tea cup dipping into your full bucket worth. No, it is wanting to do things that are different... a different look or engine or number of wheels or jumping from gasoline to electricity. Embarking on something you haven't done before (and maybe something nobody else has either) involves problem solving and the very great pleasure in accomplishing what you set out to do in a way you perhaps had not initially imagined. Satisfying, eh?

Fasteddy shares this trait, wanting for his next build to be radically different from his last one. I'm not suggesting there's anything wrong with doing a number of similar builds so long as it remains fun. That's the problem for me in that I start to get bored and need to step back and do something else. It is also why I like having more than one project going at a time, so that when one gets a little tiresome or frustrating I can switch my attention over to another one for awhile.

Lots of different guys here on the forum with lots of different ways of going about things. You, sir, are always top notch entertainment for the boys in the peanut gallery. Thanks for letting us look on. Now, what are you gonna do next? Does the frame get altered? Or is a fresh brain storm brewing?
SB

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
I think this sums up why we're in the DIY shelves. Exploration and execution of a concept.

We could all buy a kit, but there's no adventure to that; the uncharted route has both dead ends and grand views, instead of safe uniformity.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Thanks for the comment guys. We all share a lot in common liking to tinker and build. I have admired and drawn inspiration from your builds as well. I have to admit the wheels started when I saw SBs Villers sitting in the middle of a step thru. Then realizing I had an engine and frame it just rolled on from there. I have to agree L2 getting my self out of dead ends is a regular part of my routine. Probably not one initial idea I had at the beginning of this thing is still under consideration save the longitudinal mounting. Where will it end?

Got a few more things done. Amazingly the CG carb fit perfectly on the original Maytag air intake tube. Its position is great with a short intake. Also made up another set back seat post to give the knees more distance from the cylinders/plugs. Am going to use a 5.5" pedal crank to replace the 6.5 currently on the bike also.
Been experimenting with making a fuel tank. Had to eat Lucks green beans for two nights in order to be awarded the empty cans. Think I good on them for a while! I came up with an easy way to solder the cans together after finding several not easy ways. You tape the cans together with the copper tape my wife uses for stained glass. Then it solders beautifully with her big iron. If the tank seems good enough will weld a cantilever mount to suspend it over the engine like its sitting in the pic on the welding magnet. Its starting to acquire the look Im after. Kinda Rube Goldberg meets rural/down on the farm engineering/building.

Attachments

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
That was a good idea with the copper foil! Nice the carb fit right on there. Makes a guy suspicious when things fall into place without a hassle. You'll be the only kid on your block with one of these. That might move along better than one would expect and even just a walking putt putt would be just fine.
SB

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
CB2

The "Enjon" does look better in the central position. "Apparently" you are "confident" of your drive system "BB" (By Ben). Am still on the edge of my chair!

Lookin "gooder" everyday.

NT

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Been playing with the fuel tank while waiting on parts to show up. Cut the top out of an old PVC glue can along with its top. Took a good bit of metal working to get the flat screw top to fit the curvature if the bean cans but it finally fit. Drilled the top and added the original Maytag fuel pick up. It has a one way check valve that will allow air into the tank but no flow out. Was particularly proud of the fact that the top says "brush in can" indicating to all another piece of Goldberg finery. Now just need to get a fuel shut off and solder it in. There are no leaks but will slosh seal it any way. Don't want the poor little Maytag to die from BPH ingestion from the cans lining.
I have two Maytag engine decals that I will add to the ends of the tank then distress/ patina the whole thing. Starting to like the out behind the barn look, beats worrying about dust specks in the paint and such.

Attachments

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Wow! Looks like a hard way to peel potatoes! I guess its the trip as they say and not the destination!

Well I had T totally forgot I told my wife the get me some of the cheap little planters next time she went where ever cheap little planters were. Just got handed these. This was/is the intended gas tank. Now the first tank is just a learning experience and a good one at that. Maybe for another project. Now I gotta go buy some more PVC stuff just to get another screw top! Just love the galvanized finish!

Attachments

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
CB2

I remember my grandmother`s gas powered Maytag washer in the wood shed with oily flex exhaust pipe going thru the wall, think the hole was oily also !! lol Lots of smoke. It had the kick starter. Think Maytag may have sold patent to Cushman Scooter Co. ha ha

The belt will go to a shaft running a friction roller against tire sidewall ? Will your rope starter notched pulley be on the front, or a double pulley on flywheel, one groove for driving shaft and other notched groove for starting and a clutch ??

All your past FD`s have worked very well. The scissor clutch you fabricated was perfect and no parts to malfunction.

NT

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Wow! Looks like a hard way to peel potatoes! I guess its the trip as they say and not the destination!

Well I had T totally forgot I told my wife the get me some of the cheap little planters next time she went where ever cheap little planters were. Just got handed these. This was/is the intended gas tank. Now the first tank is just a learning experience and a good one at that. Maybe for another project. Now I gotta go buy some more PVC stuff just to get another screw top! Just love the galvanized finish!
That's cool, too, but I really liked the can tank...
SB

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I was gonna say the same thing. (oddly enough, I call them SB tanks. first one I had seen was your's)

Dunno CB. 1st one was really cool looking and fitting. LOL, like ya asked.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Wow Ron its pretty cool you knew some one with a gas Maytag washer! At 16:1 the flex hose couldn't help but be oily! Plan is now the start pulley will be on the front stub shaft. Clearance is so close will have to roll the rope on the pulley by turning the flywheel. Probably almost as easy as wrapping.

Well I guess I partial to the tapered tank as it resembles a very early aircraft tank. All its missing is the cones on the ends for streamlining. I appreciate yalls input. Will finish them both as I might change my mind. The bean cans are kinda cool too.
I don't know if you have searched for a small round fuel tank recently they are crazy $$!
Some over a hundred bucks!! I must have thrown a zillion in the recycler over the years. Who knew?

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Forgot, installed a bee hive springer I had. This Hawthorne has the longest head tube I have ever seen. Nothing fits it. The springer had a 7" steer tube. Had to cut and add an inch! None of the head bearing races I had fit either as well as the bearings. I did some research and it seems this is a CWC built frame. Says maybe a #49 head bearing is right? Anybody know?

Attachments