New Build...Street Fighter style...

GoldenMotor.com

runnermike

Nov 18, 2012
Sanford, FL
Well....I have decided to give it one more shot. I did not want to give up so easily. My daughter will be at her grandparents this weekend so I will have the whole weekend, undistracted, to work on the bike. We will see how it goes.......

knightscape

Jul 29, 2013
Maine
Haha, I left out of my build write up the part where I sprayed the first clearcoat too soon and it puckered all the color coats and I had to sand/repaint. In homebrewing beer there's a saying for what to do when you are getting stressed by a recipe or you think your beer isn't going to come out well: "RDWHAHB" - "Relax, Don't Worry, Have A Home Brew". Messing up primer ain't so bad. Sometimes you've just got to put down the tools, walk away, and come back fresh. Just make sure you follow the paint instructions for dry times and recoat times. Not rushing those later coats is the hardest part sometimes, it's always worth it when you can see yourself in a paint job that only cost a few bucks though. Good luck!

runnermike

Nov 18, 2012
Sanford, FL
Got the frame in the process of reprinting as we speak.

Now I have another problem...the AGK hydraulic brake and adapter is not jiving! The bracket says it works with a 203mm rotor and mounts right to the bicycle post......AM I MISSING SOMETHING???

I have a 203mm rotor....compare my pic to the pic in the link.

http://www.affordablegokarts.com/mm...A&Product_Code=2312&Category_Code=MTRBK+PARTS

Maybe smaller rotor? But I don't want to just start wasting money....UGH!

image.jpg

runnermike

Nov 18, 2012
Sanford, FL
After some measurements with the calipers....I am pretty sure a 180mm rotor will work. Just sucks I have to purchase a new rotor when I already have one.

I will wait until tomorrow to either pick up a new rotor or order a new one in case someone replies and notices something I'm missing....

knightscape

Jul 29, 2013
Maine
Their pic shows the adapter plate farther back than from the fork leg than yours, there's another adapter or something we can't see in the shadow of the pic but I'm pretty sure that adapter is not directly mounted to the fork leg. There's either something else in between, or the brake mount itself is a brake mount for a fork without it's own disc mounts. My gut says if you toss a 180mm on there, you aren't going to hit the calipers at the right angle to get full pad contact; you'll need to get the calipers farther astern. Reality may vary, just eyeballing.

runnermike

Nov 18, 2012
Sanford, FL
Here is the reply from AGK in response to my email:

Disc brake forks come with two different mounting systems. One is called an
IS mount and the other is a POST mount. The IS mount seems to be on older
forks and the POST is on newer forks. They make IS and POST mount adapters
which would be used when you use different size rotors with bicycle brakes.

So for our setup we used forks with a POST mount and a common adapter that
comes with bicycle brake kits. Our hydraulic brake adapter that we sell
bolts up to this common bicycle brake adapter and works with a 203mm rotor.

In your picture it looks like you have an IS mount and you have bolted our
hydraulic brake adapter directly to the IS mount. You need a bicycle
adapter for this to work. You also need a good bicycle shop to help you
figure out which adapter to use. When you are using bicycle brakes the bike
shop will see that you have an IS mount on your forks and a 203mm rotor.
Then they check a chart and find the correct adapter. In this case however
you are not using bicycle brakes so you'll have to try the different
adapters to find the one that works. So hopefully you have a bike shop that
will be willing to take various IS adapters and check them with your setup
to see which one will work.

Hope all of this makes sense. Let us know if you have any other questions.

Thanks

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Saturday, July 26, 2014 9:05 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Hydraulic brake adapter

I purchased your hydraulic brake adapter and hydraulic brake. I have a 203mm
rotor, but as you can see in the pic....it doesn't come close to the
bracket. The picture on your website of the bracket mounted to the fork
looks different than mine. Yours looks like the bracket is farther away from
the fork than mine. Am I missing something? My fork has the standard disc
brake tabs.

Can someone tell me or does anyone know what adapter I need? Will the one above that I posted work? Does their reply make sense to anyone?

I finally get one issue resolved and then this pops up. Maybe I misunderstood their description of the adapter on their website......

Thanks

runnermike

Nov 18, 2012
Sanford, FL
Ooooooooook......after drinking a beer and talking to my local bike shop.....I'm going to bring my setup to the shop tomorrow and try some different adapters/rotors what have you. I doubt a smaller rotor will work with the setup I have now. Hopefully they have an adapter that will work, if not, I believe after some very spot on measurements with calipers and a protractor that the hope IS to IS +20mm adapter will work!

I just hate waiting and spending money, but when you build non kit custom stuff this is what you run into....

Well....I just picked up a helmut strap for the GoPro and have beer and roller skates. Hopefully my buddy located a ski rope. Shenanigan Saturday! I'm sure you can see where this is going.....

knightscape

Jul 29, 2013
Maine
Well, that line about IS vs Post is kinda BS, it's just two different standards and the mount depends on manufacturer. That said, IMO, there are two options: What they said about taking it to a GOOD bike shop that will help you play around with trying different ones, or using the AGK mount as a template and making your own adapter, then return their useless plate. I've worked on a lot of bikes over the years, and pretty much any disc brake kit you buy includes adapters for both mounts in the box. Not fitting up to a standard IS mount is kinda lame IMO. </$0.02>

agk

Oct 2, 2010
Santa Barbara CA
Well, that line about IS vs Post is kinda BS, it's just two different standards and the mount depends on manufacturer. That said, IMO, there are two options: What they said about taking it to a GOOD bike shop that will help you play around with trying different ones, or using the AGK mount as a template and making your own adapter, then return their useless plate. I've worked on a lot of bikes over the years, and pretty much any disc brake kit you buy includes adapters for both mounts in the box. Not fitting up to a standard IS mount is kinda lame IMO. </$0.02>
I stay away from the forum for several months. Then I jump on here to take a look around and have to hear someone telling one of our customers that our brake adapter is useless. I'm glad you've worked on a lot of bikes over the years but do you understand Runnermike is adapting a small motorcycle brake to his bicycle? This actually makes our brake adapter bracket very useful.

Sorry the brake adapter bracket doesn't work when bolted directly to an IS mount. It's going to require one of the IS to IS adapters Runnermike posted earlier in this thread. When we designed this brake setup we used forks with a POST mount and a very common POST to IS adapter. You simply can't bolt it up to anything and expect it to work. We apologize for not making this more clear on the description of the part and creating this little stumbling block on this really cool build.

In the past we've enjoyed racing our motorized bikes and developing unique parts so people can duplicate some of the things we've done with our bikes. This brake setup has been by far the best brake setup we have used on our 20hp bikes. A customer/friend practically begged us to make more of the adapters so other people can use the same setup. We do that and now have to hear people say we are feeding our customers BS and selling them useless parts.

Forums can be a great place to learn so much about the crazy little hobbies we get ourselves involved in. They can also be an irritating place when there is so much misinformation and/or rude people. We didn't go to the last race and have been selling off some of our race bikes. Guess I'm getting old and don't have the patience anymore for comments like the one above. I think I need to take another break from the forum for a while.

Sorry for the rant Runnermike. I remember when you first joined the forum and didn't know much about this stuff. I jumped on here today and was amazed to see you were putting together a very nice bike. Keep up the good work and feel free to keep emailing your questions to us.

knightscape

Jul 29, 2013
Maine
AGK, I didn't mean that to sound hostile/insulting, so let me apologize for that. I know what it's like to be on the receiving end of thoughtless comments like mine (as a different kind of vendor), so I'm sorry, and please don't let the flippant tone of my note get you down. Useless and BS weren't the right words to use. I just meant if it can't easily be adapted to fit this application, it may not have a use on this project. I understand you're talking about motorcycle brakes and for the price you're asking for a custom specialty part, it's a very cool part for the right application. I'd suggest clarifying the description, and it sounds like you have an opportunity to offer another adapter to your line up. As far as the standards I certainly didn't mean to imply that you were purposefully giving bad info, we can all only share what we know. In this case the difference in standards is less old vs new and more boxers vs briefs if you take my meaning.

Again, sorry for spouting off like a bonehead.

runnermike

Nov 18, 2012
Sanford, FL
Thanks for the compliments. I have learned a lot from this forum and certain members. I am still learning everyday. AGK has been more then helpful in the past and with my current situation. Thank you guys....

I went to the bike shop today and tried a 185,183, and 180mm rotors...no dice. They did not have any IS to IS adapters either. So I am going to order one. In the meantime, I am going to fabricate a longer bracket.

image.jpg

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
Hey mike I have posted some pictures, this might help overcome your problem. 203mm disk on the Agk caliper. Made my own bracket.
Put the caliper on the disk, make sure it fits right. Pull the lever in to hold the caliper in place and tape the lever closed. Now take some cardboard and trace what you need.

Attachments

runnermike

Nov 18, 2012
Sanford, FL
Thanks Jeff. That is pretty much what I did. I zip tied the lever though. Lol. I'm gonna mill a bracket tomorrow at work and see how it works out...

runnermike

Nov 18, 2012
Sanford, FL
Well, my first attempt at the longer bracket I posted a pic of did not work. It just didn't line up right. So, I ended up making a new bracket. Essentially all I did was come out 20mm from the orginal, and then down 12.5mm. The caliper lined up perfect! I probably didn't do the best job of describing what I did, but you can see in the pic. It ain't the prettiest thing in the world, but it works. I will clean it up and make her look PURDY! Lol

20140728_153155.jpg