Vtwin Alternative

GoldenMotor.com

a.g.

Dec 23, 2012
Utah
Thought I'd share an idea I had for a motor. This is two Predator 212s slaved together. The motor mount can be made from aluminum plate with simple tools. My design includes the jack shaft so a cvt or gear reduction can be added. The motors are connected by chain so that the front cylinder fires 405deg. after the rear cylinder, just like a harley vtwin. I made a manifold so that both cylinders share one carburetor. Here are some pictures and a link to a video. Unfortunatly I have no way of taking good video, so the sound quality(the most important part) isn't great.http://www.flickr.com/photos/ag-projects/11280919155/

Attachments

a.g.

Dec 23, 2012
Utah
I have no definative plan for this motor yet, a bike with this motor would probably be more motorcycle than motorbicycle but those boundries are fuzzy anyway. The width of the motor mount is designed so that a sprocket on the flywheel side of the jack shaft will line up with most harley rear hubs and clear the rear flywheel. The main shaft is up high enough from the bottom to allow a Comet 40 series clutch to clear any framework underneath the motor.

DareDevil

Apr 29, 2012
Australia
Hi All .. I have been working on something similar a while ago..for a board track bicycle.. Its on hold at the moment ...but I will get around to getting it finished....its setup with 2 Zenoah G62 motors ..they are 62cc each...the mounting box will look like a semi circurlar box like the bottom of a crankcase and the motors are connected by gilmer pulleys and gilmer belt...will have an adjustable pulley tensioner....DD

Attachments

a.g.

Dec 23, 2012
Utah
I like the idea of belts, it should run smoothly and look good. I think if I put tensioners on my chains it would smooth out some of the vibration.

feelyx

Jun 30, 2012
sac. ca 95821
I wonder if this is how T.V. Tommy Ivo started.... This is ingenuity at it finest. It should run smoother if they fire 180 apart as they are uprights not vee'ed

a.g.

Dec 23, 2012
Utah
These motors could be put in any firing order, the goal was to get the sound of a vtwin.

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Well A.G. & D.D. I think you guys need to get together and exchange some Idea's and Knowledge cause I some AWSOME STUFF! Happening.

Heretic

Mar 13, 2013
burlington vt
1-3-4-2 AS a 4 stroke the 2 an 3 are synced and 1 an 4 are synced, with the power stroke alternating. Cam is timed at half crank speed. A 2 stroked can be done but you might need some sort of roots blower running off the cam.
It's been in my head a lot....
As for just slaving 2 together could you use a coil from a v-twin to help the timing?

Last edited:

FFV8

Oct 29, 2013
Spring Valley NV
How many of you know about the old Velocette parallel twins? They were only protoypes. The cranks were edge to edge and geared together to turn in opposite directions. This meant the only significant out of balance loads went vertically, and they could be balanced out.

https://www.theimagefile.com/tx.asp...cd4164fa217626fe80910ab577cf4efdd7.1350169044

http://www.velocette-amateur.com/proto.htm
From a balance standpoint, I always liked the Wooler design myself

Nice work on all of the coupled singe projects posted here.