Skiptooth question

GoldenMotor.com

yumalope

Nov 19, 2013
Yuma, AZ
Looking at some cool chainrings for my Panther and I'm curious....if I get a skiptooth, does that require a skiptooth specific chain? New to this vintage stuff....thanks!

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
if I get a skiptooth, does that require a skiptooth specific chain?
That's a good question! I've always heard that you have to have a skiptooth chain to fit those sprockets, but I think Bairdco ground every other tooth off a regular rear sprocket so that it would fit a skip chain. :)

Last edited:

d_gizzle

May 29, 2012
ARDMORE,OK
I was using a 52T skip tooth chainring on a bmx and it worked with 410 kmc chain no problem. I used a bmx 16 tooth freewheel on the rear.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Norm,
I also recall Bairdco modifying sprockets in order to use a regular chain. Finding an original skip-tooth chain in good condition is no easy thing. I've had a few which I sent off to members in need, but don't have anything good any more.

d__gizzle,
I know nothing about BMX stuff. So a BMX sprocket is different in what way? Or is the chain different? Or both? It would be good information to know.
SB

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i've never found a regular chain that would fit a skiptooth sprocket. i have a kmc410 chain and it doesn't fit any of my old chainrings, so i can't confim what was said above.

i've ground off every other tooth on a rear cog to make a modern hub work, but it fits kinda sloppy.

skiptooth chains came in two different widths, also. some of them are pretty fat and the sprockets have bigger teeth.

Felt made the 1910:confused: cruiser that had skiptooth sprockets and a regular chain.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
A regular late model chain is 1/2'' pitch, which will fit an old skip tooth sprocket if the chain is wide enough or the sprocket is narrow enough. A vintage skip tooth chain is 1'' pitch and will not fit i/2'' pitch sprockets because they have 2 rollers next to each other between spaces.