Huffy 29" cruiser, Cranbig?

GoldenMotor.com

kevyleven007

Sep 25, 2008
texas
I hear Huffy has gotten a lot better in recent years and I like a lot of their cruiser bikes. They look cool but I have not ridden any. The good news is I am no stranger to coaster brakes or one piece cranks. I just wonder is the seat any good? I have a lot of cruiser parts sitting around already( springer forks, bent seat post). We'll just have to see when we get it cause I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it. I'm not in any hurry on this. Just a cheap thrill. It will probably end up being my favorite bike

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
I've not had any issues with my Huffy --- bought in 2011 as a neighborhood pedal bike. It has 12ga spokes, also. The only thing that required some attention was the lack of lube on the wheel 'bearings'.

Good luck!

motorhedfred

Jul 31, 2009
United States
It's funny, but with no point of reference in the pic it kind of reminds me of images of old 24" bikes....which to me look better proportionated than 26" bikes.

The looks and proportions however, are irrelevant if the ergos suck. I pulled one off the rack and threw a leg over it today at my local WalMart and I have to say, it fits me better than my Onex 29er. The steel frame is also a plus if like me you don't have the skills and equipment to weld aluminum.

MHF

Last edited:

bluenosegoat

Dec 29, 2009
arizona
I've built a few of these huffy 29ers and they are much better for people in the 6' range. So far I have only been using the 2 stroke kits but I have a 4 stroker in the works right now. I like this frame because I don't have to make a laid back seat post to make it rideable like the crannys.

Attachments

kevyleven007

Sep 25, 2008
texas
I got the bike today! Never thought I would say it but Huffy Rocks! The verdict is in, They rule. Well worth the money! Its a lot better than I expected. I added a suspension seat post. The stock wheels are really good, but, Since I have an extra 26" front wheel hub motor, 26" 144 spoke rear coaster brake wheel, and a pair of 26x3 Kenda flame tires, I put those on there too. That's it for now. Oh yeah, and I ordered one of these http://www.ebay.com/itm/251353471273?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649 to be cont. http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=51537

Last edited:

mr42ndstblvd

Nov 10, 2013
oklahoma
ive built 2 of these already there easy to do but the front motor mount is what will get you to get it installed you have to shave the bottle nuts off the seat tube till there flush then rubberize the rear mount then you have to get a hack saw and cut the front motor mount studs down slightly to keep them from hitting the down tube then you have to use like 2 or 3 layers of rubber to get the right spacing from the ubolt to the metal plate then tighten it all down also the rear rim is a pain in the ass to put the rag joint on and get it centered also if you buy one from walmart check your pedal crank when you get it home mine was loose and the bearings where tapping and i had to regrease it. i suggest to anybody who takes on this build that you get extra wire to make your wiring longer because in stock form its a tight fit

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Rubber in your mounts = broken studs and other vibration related problems.
DON'T PUT RUBBER IN YOUR MOUNTS!
This is not a good way to solve mounting issues.

kevyleven007

Sep 25, 2008
texas
yep, broken studs are a real pain. Found that out the hard way too. "I'm so smart I'm going to put some rubber in there". Not so smart afterall. ha

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
One of those 29er frames has a slightly long wheel base than a standard 26" cranbrook so I thing that crame would make a nice 24" or 26" bike build, I like how a 26" frame works out with 24" wheels, gives it that low and longer look, seems this 29er frame would make a nice one.

By the way thats a nice looking e bike...

Map

donb4103

Oct 7, 2011
Chickasha,Oklahoma
I`ve also built a few of these bikes. The only problem that has popped up is the same problem that almost all huffys have. The main frame post that holds the seat post will break at some point about halfway down. The metal is so thin and the vibes from the engine will break it right about where the back mount will be. I have stopped all of mine from breaking by taking extra seat posts and cutting them to a certain length and hammering them down the tube until it hits bottom leaving enough room for your seat post. Have not had one break since I started doing this to all my Huffys.