Hybrid Gas/Electric (.50 Cal gun mount not included)

GoldenMotor.com

vsavoldi

Jul 24, 2012
Monterey Bay California
Make sure to keep us updated, I am very curious what you will eventually sell it for. Personally I think $5k is a little steep but I wish ya the best and I think that is a great starting point.

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
You inspired me to use some ammo cans for Lipo batteries, mine will be under fairings, but they're a really great lightweight fireproof canister. If they fit, I'd like to use two as scooter floorboards and storage on the sides of my Motobike frame under the Minimoto plastics.

I think you can sell that bike for $3k but asking $5k is steep since you can buy an awfully nice motorcycle or imported car for that much.

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
Make sure to keep us updated, I am very curious what you will eventually sell it for. Personally I think $5k is a little steep but I wish ya the best and I think that is a great starting point.
Eh $5000 is nothing for an e-bike and this thing is both gas and electric. Both batteries alone cost $1200. If you buy anything with the word "Lithium" in it and you better be prepared to pay thru the nose for it. LOL

Last edited:

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
i agree on the cost of the lithium batteries however i think they are worth every penny.
When the only other alternative is Sealed Lead Acid or any other non-Lithium battery, I have to agree with you on that. My batteries hardy weigh anything and don't take up much space at all.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
i personally cannot wait to see what the future in batteries will bring. lots of research going on. ibm i think it is is working on a lipoair battery. supposed to be 10 times lighter with 10 times the capacity of a lifepo. still a long ways to go if it ever becomes reality but someone will come up with something better in the near future.

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
i personally cannot wait to see what the future in batteries will bring. lots of research going on. ibm i think it is is working on a lipoair battery. supposed to be 10 times lighter with 10 times the capacity of a lifepo. still a long ways to go if it ever becomes reality but someone will come up with something better in the near future.
My bike is electric and gas and the electric part of it is basically maintenance free, nearly dead silent, cleaner and gobs or torque off the line. The only negative is the range and battery price really. Nothing get's more gasps from people when they see a bike with a gas engine bolted to it and hear no noise coming from it. They don't even have a clue about the electric side of it and neither do the cops. They constantly crane their heads out of their car windows when I pass them trying to hear if I'm running the gas engine. I love it. LOL

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
For riding around my town of 80,000 people, there is no errand I can't do on electric. I can ride the whole perimiter w/o running out of juice. The lighting systems you can do on electric are phenominal.

And all with zero maintainence, noise, vibration and stink.

Yeah, electric costs more. And it's worth it - :)

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
Yeah I found electric to be well accepted by the public and generally reliable. When you start modifying the electric systems to get more power density out of them then you run into things breaking and burning up though, and it can be a huge engineering project to figure out a configuration which doesn't fry. I'm kinda liking the idea of adding a rear hub motor to a gas bike with a lightweight battery pack. For an electric on its own, I'd go mid-drive, but as a silent scoot or boost for the gas it's perfect. The drive from the electric isn't added to the drive on the sprocket because it's applied at the axle and dropouts, so there's less chance of overloading your rear freewheel. Or you can just drive the disc mount, it's really ideal!

Last edited:

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
Yeah I found electric to be well accepted by the public and generally reliable. When you start modifying the electric systems to get more power density out of them then you run into things breaking and burning up though, and it can be a huge engineering project to figure out a configuration which doesn't fry. I'm kinda liking the idea of adding a rear hub motor to a gas bike with a lightweight battery pack. For an electric on its own, I'd go mid-drive, but as a silent scoot or boost for the gas it's perfect. The drive from the electric isn't added to the drive on the sprocket because it's applied at the axle and dropouts, so there's less chance of overloading your rear freewheel. Or you can just drive the disc mount, it's really ideal!
Agreed. I can also add that it is seemless power no matter which throttle you use or don't use or any combination of the two. There is no herky jerk whatsoever. You really couldn't break it if you wanted to.

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
My hill climbing abilities are pathetic without the e-hub. I had a 68 tooth rear sprocket before I got the Crystalyte hub and my top end wasn't even 30 mph. I dropped the rear sprocket down to a 50 tooth and added the Crystalyte hub and my top end went up to 40 mph and my torque from a dead stop went though the roof. LOL

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
Cracked open my Crystalyte controller and soldered my Brake Regen hack. No more toasted brake pads for me! Feels like I have powered brakes now and my battery range is also extended by more than 30%. dance1

1 finger braking @ 40MPH and the brake pads hardly engage at all yet I stop quicker than if I put a gorilla grip on the brakes before the ReGen hack. I can also see the voltage rise on my Cycle Analyst at the same time I tap the brake handle. Priceless. LOL

Last edited:

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
Some of the comments from the public:

1. "That is one bad-ass bike."

2. "That is one bad-ass motorcycle."

3. "Hey, no motorcycles on the bike path!"

4. "Nice Nazi bike dude."

5. "Nice Captain America bike dude."

6. "How long did it take you to restore that WW2 bike?"

7. "What the **** is that?"