My second build

GoldenMotor.com

ckangaroo70

May 13, 2011
Central Illinois
Thought I would share a photo of my second build. My first build was an OP Roller and my current build is a Cranbrook. I kinda liked the aluminum frame that my OP Roller had, but I am kinda liking the styling of this Cranbrook as well. Went together pretty nice and rides pretty good. However...like my OP Roller I will be adding a more comfortable seat and will probably install a springer front end as well. I may also have my buddy build me another stainless steel gas tank like my OP Roller had. Always something to modify.LOL

Attachments

ckangaroo70

May 13, 2011
Central Illinois
Done a few things on my bike since I last posted. Added a rear rack and put my saddle bag over it. I use the bike to get my mail at the post office and the rack and bags come in real handy.

I also installed a couple nice mirrors. I always like to know if something is comming up behind me. Another thing I did for safety sake is to reinforce both my front and rear fender tabs using JB weld. Seems to be holding up real well and will hopefully keep the fenders from cracking at the tabs now that they are reinforced. I will however keep an eye on them since I have read a few horror stories over the last couple years regarding fenders braking loose and causing accidents.

One thing that always annyed me on my last bike was that if I was on the bike and wanted to operate the choke...I was always fumbling to find it. I painted that little choke handle bright yellow and I can now see it very well even when I am sitting on the bike.

I also added an LED headlight and an LED taillight. The LEDs are very efficient and are suppose to run around 150 hours on new batteries. I will probably get some rechargbles for it. I fly RC and have the chargers to do lipo's..so I may convert them over to lipo's for even more time between charges. My old bike had the chrome bullet style headlight with the wheel generator. It worked very well and my generator held up good over time contrary to several folks who said theres didn't last no time. My problem with the generator light is when you come to a complete stop and have no lights. I tried running mine off the white wire and it did work, but you could tell it was robbing fire and I had to retune the engine to compensate and still the engine didn't run near as strong....so I went back to using the wheel generator. On this bike I just decided to avoid that system all together and just go with a light system that uses its own battery supply that I can recharge.

My next upgrades will be springer forks and I also need to get some front brakes on this bike. I just putt around and the coaster brakes work ok, but I really don't want to count on one single coaster brake if I really need to get stopped in a hurry. I also intend to install the long poo poo exaust that puts the muffler at the rear of the bike. My last bike had the long muffler and it really made for a quiet ride. It puts the noise behind you and any fumes back behind you instead of sitting right on top of the noise and fumes.
Another investment will probably be a better seat. My stock seat actually wouldn't be that bad if I was a few pounds lighter. I am 6'2" and weigh around 240lbs..so I tend to bottom out the springs when I hit a good bump. I had to order a different seat for my last bike as well and will probasbly get one like I had on it. The springs and cushioning were much better suited for a bigger guy like me.

I get some more done on it after what I have already done....I will post some more pics.

ckangaroo70

May 13, 2011
Central Illinois
Thanks. It is the difference between night and day when comparing the the old seat and old forks to the new seat and new forks. With the solid stock forks..every bump goes right to your arms and big potholes can really jar your teeth. For me...the springer forks serve a purpose other then just looking good. They really do help to smooth out the impact to your arms when hitting bumps or pot holes.
The stock seat had springs and the stock seat has some descent cushioning, but for a 230lb man like me...the springs were too weak and would bottom out on bumps. The new seat has much heavier springs suited more for a larger person and the seat is padded nicely. Just a totally different ride by adding those two aftermarket parts. $100 well spent in my opinion.

ckangaroo70

May 13, 2011
Central Illinois
Got my new long muffler from LEB. It fits my cranny very nice and required almost no tweaking. It actually is a bit louder then the stock muffler I took off, but does seem to help out on the low end torque just a bit. My previous motorized bike also had a long muffler, but the muffler on it was much longer and much quieter. This one is shorter and a bit louder, but the fit was much better on this one. Real happy with the fit and it looks pretty good in my opinion. Kinda wish is was as quiet as the first one I had, but its still has a nice tone and I am happy with it.

Attachments

ckangaroo70

May 13, 2011
Central Illinois
My daughters had a homecomming dance this past weekend and while taking photos, I got one daughter to take a photo with my bike. She wore a vintage type dress that went well with my vintage looking bike I thought. Suprised me that she would take a photo with her dads "dork mobile".LOL

Attachments

ckangaroo70

May 13, 2011
Central Illinois
Got some new fenders mounted on my bike. They are the Nirve 26" skirted fenders. Nice heavy fender that should hold up pretty well and I even added a bit of my own reinforcement to boot.

Attachments

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I have a Cranbrook that is now two years old. I have upgraded literally every single part of the bike. Wheels, shock forks, bottom bracket, stem, handlebars, chains, everything. My most recent upgrade was a Worksman seat....13"W. I love my Cranny and I'm gonna ride it till the wheels fall off, I don't care what anyone says about Walmart bikes, lol.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Now that's what I call "A Cruiser". Looks like something that would be right at home on a warm Saturday night at the local Dairy Queen.

Good Job, Ray. Looks comfy.

Tom