Stripped Head Bolt!

GoldenMotor.com

DrewFL

Mar 25, 2012
Boca Raton, FL
So after I finally got everything working ok after installing my kit last week, I went to re tighten my head bolts. One of them stripped inside the motor. I am steaming mad right now and don't know what to do. Is this an easy fix somehow? will I have to tear this whole motor apart? AHHHHHHHH

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
So after I finally got everything working ok after installing my kit last week, I went to re tighten my head bolts. One of them stripped inside the motor. I am steaming mad right now and don't know what to do. Is this an easy fix somehow? will I have to tear this whole motor apart? AHHHHHHHH
Yes, and you won't have to tear the engine apart, but I'd remove it from the bike... But that's exactly why I recommend changing the hardware. Since you have to tap and replace the stud, may I suggest you change out the other three along with mounting, exhaust and intake studs and locking nuts (I als use Locktite). And torque to proper specification.
(1/4" = 6.4mm) (5/16" = 7.9mm) (3/8 = 9.5mm). I'd go with the 3/8" using a 5/16" drill.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1GcesQihc7-mm3hJGf7UPiqOaRXZ8ekUT99QUZq2qXXE/edit

A favorite saying of mine...We give you the book, and all you want to do is chew on the cover.

Last edited:

DrewFL

Mar 25, 2012
Boca Raton, FL
I went to tap it to 3/8 and found that one of the rings was broken on the piston. I have contacted the people I bought it from and hope to get a new motor or a refund!